+ Reply to Thread

Default Tweaks for a new heating system

We recently had a Burnham Model ESC4NI 85% efficient cast iron boiler installed, along with a Burnham card for an outdoor reset control.

It's has four zones, however, we typically just heat the zone we're in and leave the others set at a low temp all the time. I've noticed it tends to run often for a short time which is not unexpected for the way we're using it. We used to have a hefty night setback, but the installer set it for 5 degrees. It does a great job keeping the place warm, and we're happy with it. The only glitch in the system is that the pressure is high (20/26) but was told that's OK.

Are there any modifications, add ons, settings or other things that will make this system run more efficiently?

Default Re: Tweaks for a new heating system

Sounds like your doing pretty good. IF the boiler is properly sized and isntalled it will run most effciently. Sounds off hand like a knowledgeable installer. 4-5F setback is the most you want to run for a properly sized system. If you want deeper setbacks, you'll need a supplemental heating source like a direct vent fireplace or some radiant floor heating loops.

Honestly, I find my wife won't tolerate more than a 5F setbakc anyway. Jsut gets too cold for her at night.

SOunds like your in pretty good shape.

Did the service tech run a combustion analysis to make sure it was firing effeciently?

It might be possible to tweak the outdoor rest setpoints a little. But if this sinstaller does a lot of boilers, then he probably knows the best temperature for your area.

Enjoy you nice even radiant heat. Funny how folks act like it's a new thing on the latest and greatest custom modern homes. The Romans 2000 years ago knew radiant floor heat was one of the best ways to heat a structure. The romans also used 100% renewable biomass energy... wood. We think we're so clever and advanced sometimes.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

Default Re: Tweaks for a new heating system

Yes, size is a factor. I think it's proper for the whole house, but we have empty nest syndrome and heat just a small part of it. The system runs a lot for short periods of time, but it does it's job.

No testing was done. They started it up, oohed and ahhed a bit and left happy.

I don't understand why it has high pressure, or if it's important. Can assume it's because they connected the water feed to the return side and all the pumps are on the supply side and physics are at work pumping and pulling water.

Are there any system tweaks that will maximize how well it works, or outdoor reset settings or optional equipment that will be good?
    Last edited by someoldguy; 01-12-2012 at 11:05 AM.