+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Table saw

Default Re: First Table saw

Think of it like cutting down a tree with a handsaw instead of a chainsaw.
    Great analogy.

Thanks, I will make an effort to go to a Woodcraft or Rockler store to check out what they have and talk to the guys there. I have also contacted my shop tech from college to see what he recommends.

The Delta Unisaw is very appealing.

It sounds like you are setting yourself up to a professional woodworker. If that is the case, invest in professional level machines. They will last a long time if you take care of them. You will want that electrical upgrade to be able to handle other pro level machines. A jointer and a planer is a must for furniture making, so keep that in mind.

In my home shop I have a Saw Stop Professional 3hp table saw, a 15" Powermatic surface planer, and an 8" Powermatic Jointer.

Hi

Excelent information, is necesary don't forguet the secutiry related to.

we will take the advices posted here.

regards

gusblog

spruce. i have the bosch ts4000, its 15 amps 4.4 hp. i can resaw hardwoods on it with ease while simply plugged in to any outlet
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    spruce. i have the bosch ts4000, its 15 amps 4.4 hp. i can resaw hardwoods on it with ease while simply plugged in to any outlet
    How is that possible? 15 amps @ 120 volts wold only produce 2.4 H.P. with a 100% efficient motor.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

i dont know the engineering of it.. i just know i cant bog the thing down even ripping jatoba, or wet framing material... ive been able to bring a dewalt to a dead stop while still holding the material... buhhh.. black and yellow..
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Amazing since it takes 240V to develop 3 HP in a table saw motor, and 5 HP is only possible with three phase power. They have broken the laws of electricity.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

First a correction. I have the industrial version of the SawStop.

To add, I can get a single phase 5 hp motor for my Saw Stop. I do need 3 phase for the 7 hp though. I'm not sure how they come up with the rating on the motors, but 5 hp single phase is common for saws.

Specs found here: http://www.sawstop.com/products/indu...net-saw/specs/

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    Amazing since it takes 240V to develop 3 HP in a table saw motor, and 5 HP is only possible with three phase power. They have broken the laws of electricity.
    Casey
    That is pretty much what I found when I bought my shop (new, professional grade machines ). 110 will get you to about 1.5 HP on a good day.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drooplug View Post
    First a correction. I have the industrial version of the SawStop.

To add, I can get a single phase 5 hp motor for my Saw Stop. I do need 3 phase for the 7 hp though. I'm not sure how they come up with the rating on the motors, but 5 hp single phase is common for saws.

Specs found here: http://www.sawstop.com/products/indu...net-saw/specs/
    We have been talking about single phase saws. The question is on the size and still use a on 120 volt circuit.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb