+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Table saw

Default First Table saw

Looking to get my first table saw. I have done some research and although the man/boy inside of me wants a cabinet saw with 3 HP. The realistic conscience says that a 10" 1.75HP is good enough. It also helps that I don't need to add a 220V into my garage. I have been looking at the Jet 708482K JPS-10 10" ProShop 1-3/4 HP with 30" Wing.

anyone out there use this bad boy or want to rave about their saw?

Default Re: First Table saw

how much are looking to spend, and what are you looking to do with it. personally 1.75 hp is too weak, it will bog down very easily ripping harder woods or any framing material that is wet.

a 10" saw is all you really need honestly. ive never used JET saws but have used many cabinet and contractor saws. 2 or 3 different models of general, 4 or 5 delta unisaws, 1 rockwell. several dewalts, several rigids, a couple makita's, 1 craftmsan (crap), 2 or 3 mastercraft (crap), and Bosch which i own.

my favorites would have to be the unisaw as a cabinet saw and the bosch for a contractor saw.. i find hte bosch has more power than any other contractor grade saw, the most accurate and the easiest to tune up if something goes out of alignment
    fire up the saw and make some dust

You need a pre-war three-phase 5 hp Unisaw, with Biesmeier fence and a 9' outfeed table, and an overhead blade guard.
    Or a Ryobi.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I agree on the craftsman saws, the 3 I have had over the years were not very powerful, I currently have 1 craftsman table saw 10" with folding stand and laser guide, it is good of small stuff like ripping some pine studs, or for smaller trim work, I just bought a dewalt folding 10" on sale and it is way better quality than the craftsman and more stable, if you plan on any type of furniture making, or ripping sheets of plywood then get at least a 4' wide saw they are way more stable and powerful,and with the extensions can handle larger stock with no problem! Also get some quality carbide tipped blades, they cost more but outlast those cheapo steel blades by at least 5x! Good Luck!

I have used a 1 3/4 hp Delta for years and it has served me well. 99% of the time it is all that you need. The real problem is the other 1% of the time. It will bog down on wood that is thick or very hard but you can usually work around that. So the real question is the price and what you are going to be using it for. If you can afford a cabinet saw I would recommend you buy it, buying something that you will want to replace saves no money. If you are just going to do handyman work around the house and most likely cut nothing over 3/4" in thickness, I would recommend a contractor's saw because you can move it to your work areas.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

What are you using the saw for? As jkirk said, most contractor grade saws are junk. They have too little horsepower and poor accuracy. While a cabinet saw will require 220, you will not be disappointed with its performance over any 110 powered saw.

I personally have a Powermatic, but a $2400 saw is probably out of your price range. Have a look at Grizzly and General, both are relatively inexpensive and I've only heard good things about them.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Depending on what you are looking to spend and what you plan to use it for take a look at the Sawstop line of table saws. They are pricey compared to other saws of the same type but the safety feature may make it worth it too you.

I am a teacher and started a small woodworking program at the school I teach at for boys with behavior and emotional disorders. I got the Sawstop contractors saw and have been very pleased with it. It has a cast iron table so it is pretty heavy duty and stable. Overall it is very well built and generally has plenty of power. Thankfully we haven't tested the brake system on it and hope never too but it is worth the piece of mind at a school.

I have used the Sawstop professional 3 hp cabinet saw and it is a very nice saw too.

For my own home shop I have a Delta Unisaw which at this point is about 16 years old and still going strong.

If you are going to be building a lot of large cabinetry, cutting a lot of thick hardwood lumber, and using a dado blade a lot you would be much better off with a 3hp cabinet saw. If you are just doing some home projects and small crafts and hobby things a contractor's saw with a high quality thin kerf blade should be all you need.

Hope you enjoy whatever saw you decide to go with.

Mike

I had been leaning towards the Jet 10" 1 3/4 HP Hybrid saw. I had talked to a few people who seemed to really enjoy the saw and I like the fact that I didn't need to add 220V circuits in my shop. I would like to work in woods like Oak and I have a Black Walnut Tree that is coming down so i am sure it will see the saw at some point.

Should I be leaning more towards 3 HP?

I should add since many of you ask. Since I left school, I have been wanting to get back into furniture Design. It was my favorite classes in college and I miss it. So my table saw would see handyman jobs but it is mostly for constructing high-end furniture and built in cabinetry.

Quote Originally Posted by Normanite View Post
    I should add since many of you ask. Since I left school, I have been wanting to get back into furniture Design. It was my favorite classes in college and I miss it. So my table saw would see handyman jobs but it is mostly for constructing high-end furniture and built in cabinetry.
    You won't get anything over about 1.5 horsepower out of a 120v saw. The harder and thicker the materials are that you're working with, the more power/torque the saw needs to have, as well as being equipped with the right, high quality blade for the task.

There is a world of difference between a 120v and a 240v saw, I would highly recommend you test each one in person before making your final decision. Think of it like cutting down a tree with a handsaw instead of a chainsaw. Both will work, but the chainsaw is the better tool for the job.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!