+ Reply to Thread

Default Tree and Stump Removal in NYC

I am interested in buying a specific house in Brooklyn, NY, but it has a very large red oak tree in the backyard. It is about 100ft tall and maybe 8ft round at the base.

1) Is there an issue with the city or state about removing the tree and stump on the private property (I couldn't find it ******)?

2) What type of structural or plumbing issues should we look for in the inspection and how serious of a problem could the roots have caused?

Thank you,

Default Re: Tree and Stump Removal in NYC

You'll have to contact the city to know if the tree is protected or not. As for your drain lines, roots can crush the pipe or find their way into it and plug it up that way. The only way to know the condition of the line is to hire a plumber who can run a camera down the line.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

1. You must check with your city about their oak tree policy. In my city cutting down an oak tree is unlawful. Violators get big fines.

2. Call the inspector's attention to the fact that there is a big tree (just in case he misses it), and ask him if he detects any signs of damages. As for the sewer line, you will need a camera check.

Spruce did it again...he beat me by a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Spruce did it again...he beat me by a few minutes.
    I'm only half fast, but you're really slow!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Call a reputable tree trimming company and they will be happy to give you an estimate for removal.
    I have never heard of any regulations regarding trees on private property in NYC.

NYC Department of Parks and Recreation is responsible for trees on the city streets both removal and planting.

Thank you all for the advice. Greatly appreciated.