+ Reply to Thread

Default Sub-panel mounting

I want to install a sub-panel on the far side of our house to facilitate wiring in the garage for setting up a shop. I was planning on putting the panel in a utility closet but after poking around I discovered that may not be within code. My understanding is there must be a clear area around the box 72" high, 36" wide and 36" deep (see the attached picture). Is this true? Should I not put this sub-panel in a utility closet (which has a waste pipe nearby that would go into this clearance space) Or do these rules only apply to the main panel and not to sub-panels?

Thank you for any advice you can give.

-Walt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Sub-panel mounting

Howdy, is the garage attached? If not its usually not a huge job to run wire under ground... Sub panel in the garage shop allows easy access to breakers.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Default Re: Sub-panel mounting

This new sub-panel is for an attached garage. The panel will eventually feed a new detached building...but for the time being I am concerned about feeding machines in the existing garage.