+ Reply to Thread

Default Foundation Costs

I am planning on a 16'x24' addition in Rhode Island. I contacted several local cement contractors for estimates on the foundation. For a 4' wall and slab they are quoting me $20 thousand. Does this sound right? I can purchase ICF's, rebar and cement and do the project for under $6 thousand.
    Has anyone used a cement contractor in the Rhode Island area? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Foundation Costs

Get more estimates.

Depending on your level of expertise, you can try to do it yourself, with helpers of course. You will still have to meet all local codes and pass inspection before you can pour. In California, a homeowner can do it himself on his property.

But if you goof, if you need too many corrections (assuming that your inspector is understanding, patient and helpful, which is hard to find), you might say "I should have hired someone to do this".

If the foundation is not the most important part of a building, then what is? Don't make mistakes. They are costly.

if you have actually contacted a few foundation companies about this and their numbers are all coming in within 5% of one another that number should be correct for you area. one thing to realize is that not only are these contractors going to be supplying the materials within that cost they also have tradesmen installing it who have to be paid along with overhead along with any state taxes on top of that. the semi typical equations for the cost is figure out the material cost and then double it, this of course doesnt always work.

its great that you'd like to do it yourself, however... ICF's are a engineered product which has strict guidelines on how to install it, mostly to do with proper rebar scedules and bracing up the forums for when the concrete is placed so that you dont have blow outs and everything stays plumb. because of this in most regions all icf foundations HAVE to be built by licensed installers as they have not only taken a 2 or 3 day course on the product but have also built atleast 3 foundations under the supervision of a carpenter employed by the company that produces that specific brand of block. i state this because i am licensed on both NUDURA and ARXX, in my region there is only a small number of companies who are licensed on this product and even fewer general contactors who have turn-key carpenters who are capable of installing a icf foundation and then each and every other step of construction.

im not trying to discourage you, just stating your local building authority may not let you build with icf unless you hire someone to aid you along the way to ensure everything is done to the drawing.. its one thing to cut one board short and need another.. but to pour a foundation that ends up wrong and then have to jackhammer it out and redo it is going to cost you well over $20,000
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks for the feedback. The local ICF distributor stated they would evaluate the foundation once I was ready to pour. Still not sure if I want to go that route. A back up plan was to build a block foundation. Does anyone have any recommendations?

i would take icf way before a block wall. block walls are much more prone to leaks and crack easier
    fire up the saw and make some dust