+ Reply to Thread

Default Fiberglass tub "popping"

When I step into the tub to take a shower, it will "pop" like it is going to break. It seems it has been doing this for quite awhile now. Any ideas on what could be happening? Time for a new tub (please say no!)?

Default Re: Fiberglass tub "popping"

Your tub is probably not resting on solid floor (concrete or plywood), but is slightly elevated.

You need to reach somehow under the tub and install something to secure the tub (2x4's comes to mind, don't force them so you don't damage the drain).

But how do you do it? look for an access/small door around the tub or cut some drywall behind the bathroom to gain access.

You may also be able to address the problem by putting minimal expanding foam under the tub if you have access.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I have fixed this problem in past for a customer I am a plumber I have used a bottle of expanding foam window and door and used a poly tubing for fridge lines 1/8 or 1/4 connected it to the straw then taped it up good I disconnected the drain pop up and pushed the line thru all the way to the spot that is popping sprayed the entire can everywhere I could and don't use for 24 hours and wallah no holes in wall or anything put back together drain assembly.

Hi, we are pros in refinishing and repairing of tubs. Foam works, but will compress over time. the proper way to fix it if you cant get under it is called in inlay. they cut through the base, shore up the underside, replace the floor and epoxy a piece that is custom cut to fit the contour of the bottom. Cost depending on where you live is about $400 to under $1000.

best to you with your project, Patrick from Resurface Spe******t of cape cod

Quote Originally Posted by ResurfaceSpe******t View Post
    Hi, we are pros in refinishing and repairing of tubs. Foam works, but will compress over time. the proper way to fix it if you cant get under it is called in inlay. they cut through the base, shore up the underside, replace the floor and epoxy a piece that is custom cut to fit the contour of the bottom. Cost depending on where you live is about $400 to under $1000.

best to you with your project, Patrick from Resurface Spe******t of cape cod
    Why are we dragging up these old posts? It wouldn't be to promote our self would it?

John

Great post, although I would also note that adding word restriction to your comments might backfire. I understand wanting to cut down on spam, but it also adds another barrier for the commenter, and I think it's more beneficial to make commenting as easy as possible.

Cool Re: Fiberglass tub "popping"

I agree with Dj1. Your tub may not be resting on a solid, flat floor, which causes the popping. If it causes cracks in your tub, better have it checked.