+ Reply to Thread

Default New exterior wall lights are too low.

Ok, here's the deal...

My wife and I just purchased new exterior lights for our new home as the old ones were too traditional and just didn't fit the more mid-century modern style of the home. We purchased the lights and I was excited to install them to freshen up the look. Little did I know - or little did I think before buying them - the new lights hang down from the mounting point whereas the old lights hung upward. The result are lights that are chest/neck height on the house - too low.

I've searched the web for some sort of retrofit mount or pre-made mounting block that solves this problem but have surprisingly found nothing. Another forum suggested that I redo my siding to fix the problem... I know there has to be a trick out there or something better/cheaper than that!

Anyone got any ideas?

Default Re: New exterior wall lights are too low.

If you post a photo to a sharing site like photobucket and put the link here, we'll be able to see your problem.

Without seeing what it looks like, it's hard to recommend a solution. What type of siding do you have? Wood? Vinyl? Metal? Stucco? Tar paper?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Add one vote for new light fixtures (far and away the easier route)

Without seeing any pictures:

Your light fixture hangs on the exterior electrical box, which is nailed/screwed to the framing.

To hang the fixture higher, you will have to move the electrical box.

Can you do that? I don't know anything about your ability, but if you feel you can't do it, call an electrician.

Keep in mind that most electricians will open walls, but won't close them. Meaning: you will have to hire a second contractor to finish what the electrician did. This is where being a handyman comes handy.

The simplest solution would be to swap lights for something which hangs similarly to the originals so you don't need to move anything. To use the ones you have will require having new mounting boxes at the proper height. I know several 'tricks' to use here, but we need to know what the house siding is and pics of the area (at least one wide angle so we can see the whole area) will greatly help us help you Upload the pics to a photo-sharing site and post the link, unfortunately direct photo-posting is disabled on this site.

Phil