+ Reply to Thread

Default Vinyl replacement windows in Maryland

We're getting estimates on vinyl replacement windows after some earthquake effects from August 2011. My wife and I have gotten several estimates. One company had what looked like styrofoam inserts slid into the chambers in the frame. Another company used sprayed in "minimum expansion foam" in chambers. Still another company had chambers with air only filling them. I believed the air chambers would permit the most heat loss throught the frame, but read something saying they were all about the same. Can anyone explain the best choice of these options? Also, we live in Maryland where we can have several weeks of winter temps in the 20s and several weeks of summer temps in the high 90s. I read that vinyl frames can distort, warp, etc in high temps. Would we have that problem with the temp extremes I mentioned? Would vinyl clad windows be a better choice?..kgoolsby

Default Re: Vinyl replacement windows in Maryland

I live in Maryland and HomeFix Corporation out of Arbutus replaced my windows a few years ago with Vinyl replacement windows. I haven't noticed the warping at all. We had a mix of wood and vinyl windows that were all older before the replacement. We literally replaced all of the windows in our home. I don't have anything bad to say, regarding temperature extremes and warping, though we haven't seen winters as drastically cold as we typically do over the past few years.