+ Reply to Thread

Default Heat traps prevent water heater drainage?

Will a dielectric heat trap installed in a storage tank water heater prevent the tank from being drained because of the one-way valve that is in the trap? If I want to drain my tank to get rid of sediment do I have to remove the trap? I have looked for an answer to this question but have not been able to find it ****** or in other threads on this site.
    Last edited by Tola28; 01-06-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Heat traps prevent water heater drainage?

When flushing sediment from water heaters you don't drain them. Just connect a hose the the drain on the bottom of the heater and turn it on. The water entering the heater passes through a dip tube that directs the water to the bottom of the heater. This in turn flushes the sediment out the hose. Once the water is running clear turn off the drain and pickup your hose.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    When flushing sediment from water heaters you don't drain them. Just connect a hose the the drain on the bottom of the heater and turn it on. The water entering the heater passes through a dip tube that directs the water to the bottom of the heater. This in turn flushes the sediment out the hose. Once the water is running clear turn off the drain and pickup your hose.

John
    What if you want to drain the tank?

To drain the tank open the T&P valve to allow air into it. But just draining the tank will remove very little sediment. You need the water pressure to do that. Heat traps are not air tight and would not prevent the tank from draining.

John

Sometimes the drain can get plugged with a chunk of caked sediment or calcium. You may be able to poke a wire into the drain to knock it out of the way so the water will flow.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.