+ Reply to Thread

Default Leaking Basement

I've had problems for years in my partial basement (4 feet), whenever it rains or snow melts I have water the soaks my carpet and drywall, this has been a source of constant pain and work for me. I've had some contractors out that said it was cracks and they patched them, still had leaks afterwards...... I believe I've isolated the problem to the fact that the ground gets so saturated that the water makes it way into the house through the base of the foundation (is this the joint??). So here is the questions is there a way to put in an external drain tile system to divert the water away from the building?

Default Re: Leaking Basement

Howdy, there is an expansion joint between the concrete floor and foundation wall this allows the floor to expand an not push the foundation out. However it is not water proof and likely where the water enters. First if no rain gutters install them and direct the water away from this area at least 8'. Is the slope of the lot away from this wet area? The ground should slope 1" per foot away from the home in the area where you are getting wet. You can dig down outside and install a perimeter drain system or break threw the floor and do the same to the interior. How big of area is getting wet? If a small are some times installing a sump pump in a pit can resolve the issue with out adding drain pipe.