+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Adding second water heater

What about the fact they won't supply hot water to the newer clothes and dishwashers? As far as them not needing flushing with vinegar that is not true. Here is some informative reading for you from consumer reports.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/a...heaters-ov.htm

John

Yes john you are right I just read on the rinnai website that they do need to be flushed if you get the lc code, I guess he is thinking i should get a few yeaars before I have to service it. He says he has put them in for the last 5 years with minimal problems with the heat exchanger, he says its always the controls which are covered under warraty. The flushing I guess depends on the water quality I guess, If I get 5 years before flushing i guess it would be ok. I currently have my water heater vented al the way up the chimney with a 3" flex pipe hanging out the top, so I guess the dierct vent is the only other option I have. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by jled96 View Post
    Yes I agree John the tankless and the indirect storage are epensive to install, and some tankless need to be cleaned, some do not according to a fellow tradesman who is a licensed plumber. The things I found when discussing my best options were a power vent a,o, smith water heater was going to cost me $1400.00 installed in the same location as my existing 40 gallon water heater which is vented into the chimney(which I am no longer able to use because after removing the boiler the is insufficent draft for just the water heater alone) so instead of lining the old deteriated chimney I can put in a tankless heater which the price is $800 for plumber to purchase and $1,000 to install on a nearby wall, for a total cost of $1800.00. So this is a no brainer for my situation. So either way I need a direct vent unit that are both comparable in price, and the latter will pay for its gas savings in a few years, also the rinnai I am considering has a 5 years on parts and 15 year warranty on the heat exchanger and does not need to be flushed, the tank water heater has a 6 year warranty on tank only 1 year on parts. If you only need the water heater for 6 years the get the tank type if you want it to last for longer get the tankless! Good Luck!
    1. Your numbers are only partially correct. Total installation of a tankless WH, will exceed $1,800.
    2. I routinely get free parts for tank water heaters, 4,5 and 6 years after installation, not just 1 year. I doubt you will get your tankless WH warranty honored this long.

Yes I agree on the tankless warranty issues, I would bet they would not pay for labor to replace most parts after 1 year either way. The tank type direct vent might be the way to go for me because all the connections are already there, and the electrical panel is only 12 feet away, so running an outlet for the power vent is not an issue. This way I can vent it right out the side of the house with a small 2" pvc vent. The rinnai tankless needs a 5" concentric vent and would have to be cut through the cement wall to vent it without any fire issues. I have not had good luck with tank type water heaters either, some leaking after a few years and having to get replacements they always pro-rated the warranty. I had only one gas valve go bad, it was either way too hot, or would not fire the heater untill I adjusted the temp. then it would click on. The w.H. I have no is only a year old, but the pilot keeps goig out because of a draft issue in the chimney, its either too much some days or too little other days and i can feel it blowing out of the flue collar.I guess the is no easy way to pick a water heater, just go with what works I guess. Thanks!