+ Reply to Thread

Default Buckle in newly laid oak flooring

A couple of months ago we laid prefinished 3/4 inch by 3 1/4 in red oak flooring in the master bedroom. After we were done we noticed a buckle that was about 4-6 feet long. Unfortunately it isn't under the bed and easy to ignore. It is not due to moisture. I can only assume as we got close to the end of a run near one wall we ran out of staples and didn't realize it. When we got the next course nailed it pushed it up. Any suggestions?

Mike

Default Re: Buckle in newly laid oak flooring

Was the material acclimated to the space? If not, the change in temperature and humidity could be your culprit. There are only two things you can do, leave it and hope it goes down on its own or pull up the offending pieces and trim them to make them fit.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

We did have it acclimated, and it only happened with this one board. Someone suggested screwing it down. What would happen if I used a skill saw down the hump between courses to remove space so the board would do down?

Mike

If you use a power saw, there is a good chance you'll destroy the two planks, even if you are an expert finish framer.

The thing to find out is why this happened in the first place and what can you do so it doesn't happen again (after you resolve the buckling issue).