+ Reply to Thread

Default Cathedral ceiling crack that keeps coming back!

We have little beach house that has a re-occuring cathedral ceiling crack and one particularly pesky nail pop that runs along the length of our great room just below the point where the slope meets the flat spot in the center.

It's definitely seasonal. I started the repair in July, and being the research intensive type, I did it by the book as I stood on top of a 12' ladder craning my neck until I thought it would break! First I gouged out the crack with a and old-fashioned beer bottle opener (a nice tip from a firefighter/contractor guy we know) to open up an angled seam the length of the crack. Used Dust-Off to clean out the dust, laid in the first coat of joint compound, waited a week (it's the weekend place for us). Next I added fresh joint compound and slammed on the polyester mesh tape, sponged away the excess, waited a week, sanded, added another coat of compound, waited, sanded and applied the final coat. Obsessive, right? Sue me, I'm a wife trying to impress my husband with my DIY smarts.

I did the same for the nail pop, drove in the nail, drove 2 screws on either side and finished it up with joint compound a mesh tape. Looked brilliant until winter came and the crack reappeared. The nail popped up under the mesh tape and looks like a ceiling zit.

So what to do now? Actually, is there a best time to repair a ceiling?

In working on the house we found this great stuff called Plaster Weld that worked out great on a crack in another room which to date hasn't reopened. We're thinking of trying some of that when we start all over again on the great room ceiling but this time, he goes up the ladder! Any suggestions?

As always, thanks to the good folks who graciously offer their wisdom so freely here!

aloha,
    rosalie

Default Re: Cathedral ceiling crack that keeps coming back!

As to the popping nail: just pull that sucker! It is superfluous after the screws placed around it.

As to your reocurring crack: You may have a structural problem. The sloped walls want to move down and out. The tie area at the top attempts to keep it from moving outward. It apparently is not doing its job sufficiently. Personally, I doubt that mere topical joint treatments are going to be successful. They are too ridgid and will continue to break open. You might try spackling this crack with an elastomeric spackling compound. You would have to lay out the compound very evenly, because such compounds are not sandable. Lay it out as well as possible and then lightly drag a dampened block sponge over the wet compound to smooth out any ridges.

If you prefer to use a caulk, DAP makes elasomeric caulk that you can apply right into the crack.

Thanks for the replies! I hear "structural" and I'm ready to launch my poor husband into the crawl space over the great room with a Mag light in his mouth! Do you think the structural issues could be corrected? Did I mention that the house is built on a sandbar?

aloha,
    rosalie

Howdy before you get your sweetie into the attic. Do you know if the roof is a truss roof? Are you prone to strong winds where the home is? It is likely not a structural issue but simply a wear issue as the roofing an ceiling components move due to expansion an contraction, truss wind up lift. an on an on. The adding of caulking is a first try as the caulking moves unlike drywall mud allowing some movement. If the crack comes back then consider having a contractor or structural engineer come look and give repair suggestions.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

My husband is eternally grateful to you for saving him from the dark reaches of the rafters. Trusses? I'll check what sort they used for the vaulted ceilings over the front and back of the house. We don't have any exposed beams at all, and I just realized that I'm not so sure that we have a classic "cathedral ceiling" at all...not sure what to call our ceiling that symmetrically starts at 8', climbs to about 14' following the roof line and finally flattens out at the top for another 8'. Whatever our ceiling is called, I hope you get the picture.

I love you guys for helping me learn about this stuff! Many, Many thanks to you all! I'll be ElastoPatching this weekend and I can't wait! Really.