+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Skim Coating Popcorn Ceiling

If the popcorn has been painted over, I would agree with the drywall over it plan. However, unpainted popcorn comes off easily, if messily.

Ceiling is 14' X 19'. This is a Living Room with no overhead lights or fans. Based on your previous replies,I plan on covering hardwood floor with rosin paper then plastic. Am thinking of dry scraping due to size of room and relatively minimal popcorn covering. The roll on joint compound seemed like a simpler solution than trying to repair all of the seams, and trying to blend them in.
    In the alternative, is there a high hiding or slightly textured coating which could be applied after scraping?

Just a thought: If you are going through all the trouble to thoroughly cover the floor and remove most of the old popcorn, you might want to get a professional to come in and spray new texture. You will have done most of the work for him and that should be reflected in a lower cost to you.

However, did this not start out with you wanting to lessen the poor quality of the original tape job showing through? You still have not actually addressed that problem with this solution. No amount of texture truely hides a poor drywall job!

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Just a thought: If you are going through all the trouble to thoroughly cover the floor and remove most of the old popcorn, you might want to get a professional to come in and spray new texture. You will have done most of the work for him and that should be reflected in a lower cost to you.

However, did this not start out with you wanting to lessen the poor quality of the original tape job showing through? You still have not actually addressed that problem with this solution. No amount of texture truely hides a poor drywall job!
    I agree on both accounts. BTW, it doesn't take much water on an unpainted popcorn ceiling to get it to release extremely easily and cleanly. I use a 1/2 gallon garden sprayer to apply the water. For the room size you mention, you'll only need about 1/2 - 1 gallon of water total, you don't need to use a fire hose. The moisture will not only soften the texture so that it scr apes off easily, it will keep the dust and loose debris to a minimum.

On the second matter, rolling texture on isn't going to solve the visible joints and fastener problem. For that you'll need to apply more topping compound to the low areas, you're not necessarily going to have to float the whole ceiling unless you want a baby's butt smooth finish.

If I were you, I'd scr ape the ceiling as clean as possible. Properly fill the joints and only float out the areas that need it. If you go back with popcorn texture you won't need to do any more work than that. If you want to apply orange peel or knock down, you'll have to lightly sand the newly mudded areas to blend them into everything else, then the new texture will cover nicely.

If you insist on going with a rolled on texture, you're going to have to have the joints and hollows floated or else they'll stand out as bad or worse than they already do.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have never seen a rolled texture that didn't look kind of amateurish. Either hire it done, or go rent the equipment. Spraying texture is not all that hard, although a knockdown does take a little know-how and practice.

THIS PROJECT IS COMPLETED. Thanks for all of your observations and suggestions. Don't know how to mark this complete.
    Dry scrapped the popcorn off with an ice scrapper (like used on side walks), followed by touch-up with a 4" knife. Thinned joint compound to the consistancy of pancake mix and rolled (paint roller) on the seams only, smoothed and blended with a 12" knife, sanded with 80 grit sand paper, reapplied compound to blenishes, sanded lightly, primed entire ceiling,and applied 2 coats of Sherwin-Williams High Hiding ceiling paint. While it is not as smooth as a babies butt, is does look fantastic, and my wife still loves me, so it must be good. Project took 1 Saturday and 4 week nights, at a cost of $120. Thanks again
    Last edited by Fred in Potsdam; 01-31-2012 at 09:57 AM.

You're welcome. Another success story. can you post pictures?

Congratulations!

Hopefully it wasn't quite as bad as you were fearing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!