+ Reply to Thread

Question No Electrical Power to Upstairs Bathroom

When I switched on the vanity light in the upstairs bath it failed to turn on. I tried the shower light and the ventilation fan, neither functioned. I plugged a lamp into the GFIC wall outlet in the bath, no power. I tried reseting the GFIC, still no power. I checked the power distribution panel for a tripped circuit breaker, none was tripped. I noted from chart on inside of panel that power to upstairs bath was controlled by breaker in location 20. At this point I called an electrician. He replaced the circuit breaker in location 20 (no effect). He replaced the switches that operated the vanity lights, shower light, and ventilation fan. All connections in the 3 gang swith box were checked and tightened. He also replaced the GFIC outlet. Power to the upstairs bathroom was restored. Two weeks later the problem has reocurred. What can I do now? The house is a 22 year old Cape Cod style. Electrician is talking about having to cut holes in drywall.

Default Re: No Electrical Power to Upstairs Bathroom

Howdy do not use that electrician again as a good one would of checked the switches breaker and GFI to determine which was not functioning an saved you the $$$ for poke and hope. Have another electrician out to check the wiring with a meter and the new GFI . Happy New Year.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

I suspect that you have a wiring problem. What else is left unchecked?

Sometimes driving a nail in the wall that hits a wire can cause this. You may also have old wiring. Just have them checked.

Red face Re: No Electrical Power to Upstairs Bathroom

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Howdy do not use that electrician again as a good one would of checked the switches breaker and GFI to determine which was not functioning an saved you the $$$ for poke and hope. Have another electrician out to check the wiring with a meter and the new GFI . Happy New Year.
    What kind of meter do you use to check for an intermittant problem? When the electrician checked to see that switches and GFIC were correctly installed the power to the room came back on again. The only thing he could do was to pull every thing out of the switch box and reinstall it making sure all wire nut connections and and switch tewrminal connections were secure. I asked that components be replaced at this point just for good measure.

Howdy sounds like you have a ghost/tripping the GFI is it wired so outlets past it are GFI protected by it?
    Or what is plugged into the GFI? Have you reset the GFI? Think Ohm meter.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I suspect that you have a wiring problem. What else is left unchecked?

Sometimes driving a nail in the wall that hits a wire can cause this. You may also have old wiring. Just have them checked.
    Is there any way to determine which wires are those from the circuit box without cutting hole in the drywall? I think that if I knew this I could isolate these wires and check them for continuity.

The only things that I can think of that may have affected the wiring are the people who came in and insulated the attic spaces, or the ocassional rodent visitor we get.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Howdy sounds like you have a ghost/tripping the GFI is it wired so outlets past it are GFI protected by it?
    Or what is plugged into the GFI? Have you reset the GFI? Think Ohm meter.
    GFI was not tripped. Circuit breaker was not tripped. One additional outlet appears to be wire to the load side of the GFI. The only thing ever plugged in to this outlet is my razor recharger. When the pwer was restored after the first outage electrician checked out GFI wiring with tester.

I would check any downstream outlets, or devices on that gfci that are tied into that circut that are posing a ground fault, I have also seen many bath fans that go bad that trip the gfci also, I would check the wiring and connections in those junction boxes and make sure nothing has worn through the insulation. My cape home is over 90 years old and mostly original bx wiring, except the kitchen and bath that I remodeled, so 22 year old, wiring still should have plenty of life left in it! Good Luck!

I would also check the wiring in the panel, make sure the neutral and ground are tight at the buss bars, also check the breaker and make sure the panel to breaker lug connection is tight (breaker fits snug) if that is all good you might have to re-feed the bathroom from the panel. Have you had the roof done or any work done around the bathroom area recently, sometimes a stray nail or a long sawzall blade can cut the romex and cause a short.Good Luck!

Someone may have driven a staple (or a nail/screw) into a cable and it's just now having an effect. This could have been brought on by a surge or lightning storm.

You might have to have an electrician disconnect the fan, light and any other loads and megger the wiring at 1000V.

Also, I've seen hair build-up in a blow/dryer cause a GFCI to trip. Moisture or vibration in the fan/light or even the bare ground touching the white wire.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thsemi-retiredelectrician.com