+ Reply to Thread

Default snapin flooring. Is it any good?

Anyone have any experience with snapin flooring? Not so much on how to do it, but whether these floors hold up. The easy installation sounds great.....but not sure how comfortable I am with it.

Default Re: snapin flooring. Is it any good?

Pete, it's a snap.

Quote Originally Posted by peterbouchard View Post
    Anyone have any experience with snapin flooring? Not so much on how to do it, but whether these floors hold up. The easy installation sounds great.....but not sure how comfortable I am with it.
    It's just like anything else, you get what you pay for. Buy cheap and it won't last by quality and it will last.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

That's my concern. Quality....will it last? I'd rather nail install and even have to finish the flooring vs. waste my money.

I don't like the feel or sound of the snap in, laminated, floating flooring.
    Anybody else feel this way?
    I don't know about the longevity and it usually looks good at the onset. I know the price looks right.

Last year I put in a high-end snap-in flooring in our laundry / mud room that looks like tile. As stated, it was fairly easy to install.

This area takes a beating in our house. Sandy and muddy shoes, back packs, groceries, etc get thrown on the floor often -- it is a multi-purpose, well-used room.

All that being said, our flooring has held up wonderfully. No scratches from sandy shoes or dings from dropped cans of soup. No separation of the seams or buckling anywhere. It really has taken some abuse and is no worse for the wear.

I originally went with this type of flooring for it's easy install and price. I would recommend it to anyone with only one caution -- make sure you do your research and get quality product. There is a lot out there and some of it is junk. If I recall correctly, thickness and number of plys was the determining factor between good, better and best.

My two cents. . . Tim

i agree with tim, i've installed many of these types of flooring and in general i'm not a big fan and the main reason is that everyone always "cheaps out" and goes for the lowest cost flooring they can find. the cheap ones can even be a pain to install, the edges get nicked, if they get wet they swell and ruin the adjoining pieces. i have installed a few of the better quality ones and it does make a big difference. i guess it's just a matter of doing your homework on the brands and see how each one suits you.

I was looking at something from HD...was ~ 1/2" and about 3.50 a square foot...if I remember correctly.

The quality actually looked good. Was the hand-sc****d oak. I can purchase white or red oak for the same or maybe lower than what the snapin cost, but obviously installing it and finishing it would be more labor intensive...dust, etc. That said, I would choose that flooring over the snapin.

Another reason for picking the floor was that my son wanted to help me install it. Something he could help with for sure...and it's for his room.

Someone (ed21) did mention the sound. I totally understand the sound issue, but don't expect that with the thicker flooring. Am I wrong?

Laminate or Snap-in flooring can be great, and as the other folks said don't cheap-out. First I'd recommend going to a private flooring showroom if there any in your area, and compare it to the Depot product. If you're concerned about sound get the best underlayment foam you can find, that will make all the difference.

thanks... I was planning on doing just that..