+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ridge Venting

Angry Ridge Venting

I had asked previously about the shallow slope of my roof not ventilating the attic appropriately. After doing some research, it looks like a fabric, something like Typar, was placed over the ridge under the vent material. Can anyone tell me why this is necessary? Or, was it done incorrectly and that is the reason for the air not venting? Thanks

Default Re: Ridge Venting

To vent properly, intake vents are also needed. If you don't have enough soffit venting the system won't work properly. In any event even proper ridge & soffit venting won't keep the attic completely cool.
    The fabric you see may be part of the soffit vent. I have never heard of or seen anybody use Typar under the ridge vent.

I have continuous soffits and they are clear. I have total of 24 inches of fiberglass in the attic and all penetrations into that space are sealed. The problem is ice dams. I had them before and after I had the roof done. The fabric just doesn't seem to be air permeable and I have found no information on the web about such a vent system. I am probably going to trim some of the fabric in one bay to see if it is part of the vent or something else. Thanks for the reply.

I've never heard of placing a fabric like that under the ridge vents. That would probably reduce the venting capacity by ohhh... probably 95%.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

Yep, the vents are useless with the Typar there.

Where is the dopeslap icon?

Quote Originally Posted by swkdfnpc View Post
    I had asked previously about the shallow slope of my roof not ventilating the attic appropriately. After doing some research, it looks like a fabric, something like Typar, was placed over the ridge under the vent material. Can anyone tell me why this is necessary? Or, was it done incorrectly and that is the reason for the air not venting? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by swkdfnpc View Post
    I have continuous soffits and they are clear. I have total of 24 inches of fiberglass in the attic and all penetrations into that space are sealed. The problem is ice dams. I had them before and after I had the roof done. The fabric just doesn't seem to be air permeable and I have found no information on the web about such a vent system. I am probably going to trim some of the fabric in one bay to see if it is part of the vent or something else. Thanks for the reply.
    If the material you are seeing is indeed a housewrap then as others mentioned it shouldn't be there -- considering one of the main purpose of housewrap is an air barrier ( a very low air permance ).

The ice damn issue has more to do with heat escaping from the lower level and warming the underside of the roof. Seal any penetrations and properly insulate those areas to elimanate the cause of the ice damns.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush