+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cwil5518

Question cwil5518

I just had a fire that destroyed the top floor of my Cape Cod home, and water damage on the first floor. How do get help making sure I get the proper settelment to cover repairs, and find the best contractor to do the job.

Default Re: cwil5518

Sorry to hear about your loss.

1. Don't rush to accept a settlement from the insurance company, before you have some valid estimates from dependable reputable contractors.

2. To find the best contractor you will need to ask neighbors, friends, family. Word of mouth is your best source. By interviewing them you will get a gut feeling about them. Ask for references, go and talk to previous customers. Check with your state contractors board.

You have to do your homework to have a succesful re-build.

Smile Re: cwil5518

Thank you for the advice, I will do my best to follow.

The first thing you will want to do -- and soon -- is protect the parts of the house that aren't damaged, to prevent further damage from weather, vandalism, theft, etc. Water damage should be dried out as soon as possible, but it's not necessary to actually repair it until you have a settlement.

Many insurance companies will pay for this mitigation without much squabble, as preventing further damage will help keep repair costs from escalating. Look for disaster restoration companies that are also general contractors; most of them are capable of stabilizing and securing a damaged house. Make sure you're under no obligation to hire this company for the actual repair, as you'll want to take the time to get bids for that.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Yes I do agree with @cwil5518! that,we shouldn't rush to accept a settlement from the insurance company, before you have some valid estimates from dependable reputable contractors. Thanks