+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default swapping the position of stove and fridge

My new house has a bit of a flaw in the kitchen appliance layout. The stove is located between the fridge and a partial wall. This arrangement pins the stove into a box-like space with no access to the counter.

Moving the small upper cabinet and rewiring the range hood should be fairly straightforward and the cords and waterline on the appliances are long enough to simply slide them to their new locations. My concern is the safety of having a 220 outlet behind a refrigerator that has an icemaker connection at approximately the same height. Also, the oven will then have the water valve for the icemaker behind it.

Is it safe to leave the appliances plugged in to their existing outlets and simply switch their locations?

Thanks

Default Re: swapping the position of stove and fridge

The only problem might be is that the 50A 4 wire plug might not reach the receptacle.

You can probably change out a 36" cord for a longer one yourself.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

I think all of the cords and the icemaker hose are long enough to simply slide the appliances to their new positions. My concern is the water line on the fridge being so close to a 220 outlet, which is positioned low to the floor so you can access it from the pullout drawer on the range. The 220 plug will then be right at the same level as the water hose connection on the back of the refrigerator. If that's safe then, that's what I'd prefer to do.

yeah it would be fine. If you have an leak issue of water spraying all over, that would be more of a concern to me than having electric nearby.

Thanks, Sparky. That was my main concern. Pessimest that I am, I can imagine the hose from the water line on the back of the fridge spraying water all over the 220 outlet that will be directly behind it at the same level! I guess I just have to make sure that doesn't happen...

I would cover the 220 outlet with something to stop any water in case of a leak.