+ Reply to Thread

Question Skip-Troweled Walls - Maintenance and Care Questions

Greetings,

I purchased a house yesterday that has skip-troweled walls pretty much throughout. The walls are in very good to excellent condition, but I have some questions.

1. I like the colors used in this home, but what are my painting options on mudded walls? Is there a particular paint formulation that works better than others? The walls in the media room were painted (poorly) by the previous owners
    2. The texture is extreme in certain locations. How does one thoroughly clean the crevices without damaging the plaster? Obviously a electrostatic duster would work, but I'm concerned with the deeper crevices collecting pet dander and other sundry airborne nastiness. Also, this house has some fairly dramatic angles and high ceilings and I worry that some of the duster filaments would get caught in the plaster. Bad news with 20' ceilings.
    3. What is the best technique for patching frame holes that will preserve the irregular pattern and color?

I have pics, but am unable to post since I just registered. I'll update then I hit 10

Thanks, any help would be appreciated

Default Re: Skip-Troweled Walls - Maintenance and Care Questions

Aside from a good coat of paint, periodic vacuuming of the walls is in order. This should be done as part of general house cleaning once a month or every other month. You can use a non-powered floor brush for the task, but it has to be clean or you'll make your walls noticeably dirtier than they are already.

20' ceilings will be fun to clean, but can be done with extension poles on the vacuum or a good sturdy ladder.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Skip-Troweled Walls - Maintenance and Care Questions

^ Not as much fun as the poor guy who applied the mud. Guess they had scaffolding though

Thanks for the tip.