+ Reply to Thread

Default Errant ding-dongs

What could be simpler than a doorbell fix, except ours?
    Our doorbell rings when the neighbor’s button is pushed. We live in a mobile home and in a park. Our two homes share the same electrical transformer feeding each via separate meters mounted on the same meter base stand which is located in the neighbors yard. The phone lines are also fed to each home through this stand but I don't suspect them. I suspect a bad ground but don't know where to start. We haven’t had any other electrical problems. We are not on speaking terms with them so I don't know if theirs rings when our button is pushed. I have pushed ours to see if any one opens their door but didn't see any action. This problem started about two years ago and only happens with our back door button which is the side facing them. The front door has a separate doorbell transformer and is not affected.
    Both homes are ranch style and built in 1984.
    Last edited by dvak; 01-02-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: change dig to ding

Default Re: Errant dig-dongs

Is it a wireless button? If it is change the code.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

No, it is hard wired

I'm more inclined to think you have a neighbor problem. A faulty ground is not going to affect the secondary of a transformer or complete the circuit as the switch does.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Here's a solution that will cost you about 10 bucks:
    Disconnect your bell and install a brand new, battery operated bell. No wires, no labor, no transformer, no neighbor.