+ Reply to Thread

Default Problem with stink pipe in the basement having frost on it.

The stink pipe seems to be drawing instead of exhausting causing the stink pipe to frost down to basement level. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Default Re: Problem with stink pipe in the basement having frost on it.

I have no idea what your talking about.

John

The vent stack that goes from basement level through the roof is drawing air instead of exhausting, resulting in the vent stack to frost down to basement level. We notice this when it is very cold out, there is frost on the vent stack in the basement which is heated and the vent stack runs up an inside wall of the house. Just curious to know what we could do to prevent this, or what reason is the vent stack drawing air instead of exhausting it.
    Last edited by catandmac; 01-07-2012 at 05:20 PM.

The vent pipe is to draw air when it needs to and to allow fresh air to enter the sanitary sewer system so gasses do not build up and your fixtures drain properly. The frost is because the air temp and humidity inside are warmer than outside air temp. and the freezing cold air flowing through the pipe are causing it to frost. You could insulate the vent pipe all the way up to the roof and this would isolate it from inside air, but if the frost isn't causing a problem I would just leave it, if it is causing interior damage then I would insulate it with pipe wrap. Good Luck!