+ Reply to Thread

Default Priming a hot water recirculating pump

I have a TACO 006 series cartridge circulating pump that I feel needs to be primed. Can you give some general tips that will allow me to do this? The pump is in line to return water through the drain at the bottom of the water heater. I have hot water at the taps (eventually, allowing the water to run) and the pump is running. I believe that the recirculating system needs to be primed. I don't know what to do to get the system to function properly. Please help.

Default Re: Priming a hot water recirculating pump

The pump doesn't need to be primed. What type re-circulating do you have? Is there a designated re-circulating line or are you using a system that is using the cold water line?

John

Default Re: Priming a hot water recirculating pump

There may be air in the line. To purge it, you may be able to open up the line on the downstream side of the pump.

Also, look at the pump body. There should be a flow direction arrow; make sure it's pointing the right direction.

If there is a check valve in the line, make sure that's pointing the right direction, too.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.