+ Reply to Thread

Default Water in natural gas pipe!!!

I noticed the gas stove flame turned orange color instead of blue so I had the gas company come out and was told the gas pressure was very low so pipe was blocked some how. Plumber came out and eventually found water in a section of gas pipe buried underground. He hooked up his gas tank to the pipe and blew a couple of buckets of water out. Looks like the problem was solved. That was last winter. The problem came back again this winter when it got cold the gas stove flame turned orange. I have no idea if water got in through a leak (I don't smell any gas but then it's buried underground so maybe hard to smell if leak is small?) or if it's water condensation from the moisture in the gas. I may dig up and replace the pipe but my question is how to best insulate it to prevent any leak or condensation?

Default Re: Water in natural gas pipe!!!

In my city, the GAS COMPANY takes care of the gas supply pipe up to the gas meter, which is on the side of the house. That means, that your gas supplier may be doing the same thing. Check with them before you hire a plumber.

What they do now is come out and push a new flex gas line (yellow) into the existing rigid pipe and connect it at the meter. No charge. Pretty neat process.

Generally speaking, a rigid black gas pipe has to be wrapped when laid underground. All gas pipe work must be done by a qualified professional.

to condensate there has to have moisture in order to get moisture it has to be exposed to air and there for you have a leak somewhere and can't believe the plumber would even blow the water out and not be like you have a leak this needs reported to the gas company ( standard procedure) call questar gas if thats your supplier and see what they recommend.

Gas company ownes run from mains to meter drop,have them replace with new pvc, tell them the issues you have so it can be corrected. they should be able to pitch run back to main so you don't have any condensate in your line! Good Luck!

One more thing- there should be what is known as a "Drop Leg" the the end of every gas pipe run where it terminates to feed the appliance. This is usually just a 6" pipe ran downwards from a tee with an end cap on it. The purpose of a drop leg is to catch water instead of letting it pass through to the appliance which could then extinguish a pilot flame and fill the room with unburned gas. These must be drained anytime you get water in the line. The procedure is to cut off the gas at the meter, unscrew the cap or whole drop leg, drain the water, reinstall with gas type thread sealant, then turn the gas on relighting pilot flames and checking for proper operation. Drop legs may also be installed on the low end of long piping runs and at places where gas piping transitions from horizontal to vertical, so you need to inspect the entire gas piping system to be sure you've drained them all when you do this or there may still be water in the system.

This will just be a short-time fix if an unusual amount of water is getting in but do it anyway for safety's sake. If there are no drop legs I'd have them put in whether code requires them or not- they are a good defense against water in the gas lines. There is no such thing as "too safe", only not safe enough and wishing it had been safer when it's too late.

I'd do one more thing were it me- replace any newer corrugated flexible supply lines with soft copper ones. It has been found that in many cases where there was a nearby lightening strike, enough current was induced in the metal appliance which traveled through the supply to find a ground, has burned pinholes in this type of supply line. This does not occur with the thicker copper supplies previously used. While the corrugated supply lines still meet code in most places, there is currently a lot of serious talk about banning them entirely because of this and their higher susceptibility to physical damage versus copper lines. Like I said, there is no such thing as "too safe"!

Phil
    Last edited by Mastercarpentry; 02-26-2012 at 10:57 PM.