Daughter and son-in-law hope to close on this wonderful 80 year old home 2 stories plus open attic. It is complete with 9' ceilings, hardwood floors, lathe plaster walls ... and knob and tube wiring everywhere the electrician could not get to when they upgraded the electrical to circuitbreakers and 200 amp service some 10-15 years ago. Translation, basement and outlets on 1st floor are new, everything else is still old k&t. (1st floor ceiling fixtures, all of 2nd floor, and attic.)

Since many insurers experience cardiac failure at the thought of k&t, it would be best to complete the upgrade.

They have approached 1 electrician who did the initial upgrade work for the current owners to get a firm estimate as to remaining costs. His response was, can't really tell because won't know what he finds till he gets into the walls. Duh! It was suggested that he attempt an outlet or switch or two to see if there is blocking or other issues. He was asked what techniques would he use to conceal the new wiring. Came down to he wants to be totally non-committal until he starts the job.
Second electrician is on the way next week.

This cannot be rocket science; I suspect that it is an art. The question is, what techniques do the artists typically employ?

I would imagine that they run chases up from basement through closets or in otherwise concealable spaces.

Do they go all the way to the attic and come down from above drilling into the space between walls and attempt to guide or pull the wire down (or is the added cost of the extra wire needed to wire from above not beneficial).

I am betting that 80 year old baseboard molding does not remove easily, does routering a channel, drilling into the wall at a point below the outlet, and so on ... then covering with a second molding piece work? (May actually make things a little more decorative?)

What about ceiling fixtures that have wallswitches for activation? Second floor probably not the problem as much as 1st floor ceiling where there is a hardwood floor above.

Are there specialized conduit pieces that look better running across a wall than the typically conduit?

What works (short of making many cuts into plaster - or is that not really a bad thing)?

And if you know of an electrician in Richmond VA who likes this type of work, is knowledgeable and reasonable, would like their name. Thanks