+ Reply to Thread

Default Wiring a photocell.

I replaced the light fixture at our front door and recently installed 2 new light fixtures on either side of the garage. I'm in the process of wiring and I'd like to install a photocell to control these 3 lights, but I am unsure how to wire it properly. The directions show how to wire a single light, but I'll have 3.

Here is what I'd like to do:

Switch at the front door that we will leave on most of the time --> light at front door --> light on side of garage closest to the front door --> photocell --> light on the other side of the garage.

If I wire all of the lights together black-to-black and white-to-white, will the photocell only control the last light? I thought I remembered seeing something on Ask TOH where they took the white from the 1st fixture and connected it to the black wire feeding the 2nd fixture. I think that is what I need to do so the photocell will break the circuit no matter where it is located, but I wanted to ask someone with more experience before I do something potentially dangerous.

I've been searching Google for wiring diagrams for multiple lights on a single photocell but I haven't had much luck.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Default Re: Wiring a photocell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
    I replaced the light fixture at our front door and recently installed 2 new light fixtures on either side of the garage. I'm in the process of wiring and I'd like to install a photocell to control these 3 lights, but I am unsure how to wire it properly. The directions show how to wire a single light, but I'll have 3.
    It's the same thing for one light or 3.

Here is what I'd like to do:

Switch at the front door that we will leave on most of the time --> light at front door --> light on side of garage closest to the front door --> photocell --> light on the other side of the garage.We can't see how your wiring is configured but assuming the other two lights are fed from the the first light.
    If the switch controls all 3 lights then the photo cell will be wired in before the first light and would then controll all 3 lights.

If I wire all of the lights together black-to-black and white-to-white, will the photocell only control the last light?
    Depends where in the circuit the photo cell is will determine which light(s) will be controlled --- and yes --- black to black --- white to white.

I thought I remembered seeing something on Ask TOH where they took the white from the 1st fixture and connected it to the black wire feeding the 2nd fixture. I think that is what I need to do so the photocell will break the circuit no matter where it is located, but I wanted to ask someone with more experience before I do something potentially dangerous.
    What you suggest is wiring the fixtures in series which is something you don't want to do. If one bulb burns out all the lights will be out instead of one.

I've been searching Google for wiring diagrams for multiple lights on a single photocell but I haven't had much luck.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    As mentioned the photo cell is wired the same for one light or 3.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush