+ Reply to Thread

Question How/What can I cover my ceramic tile in my kitchen??

Hi folks, I am new to the homeowners club. We just bought our first house and this is one part of the house that I can't stand. I am researching ideas on how to cover our ceramic wall tile. I realize I could try and gut the kitchen but from what I hear we would have to replace the plaster walls if we took off the tile and the mortar underneath holding the tile. Our house was built in 1959 and from what I read they basically used cement to hold the tile? Not sure. I am looking at all other possibilities instead of tearing it out. I hate the blueish/green color of this tile and would really like to replace/cover/paint it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: How/What can I cover my ceramic tile in my kitchen??

The problem with painted tile is that it looks terrible and will peel off easily. What I would recommend instead would be to contact a bathtub refinisher and have them quote applying their finish over the wall tile.

The only other suggestion would maybe to install wainscot, but that may or may not work depending on how high the tile is.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Look up Dispersion Adhesive.
    I have used it over glazed brick and glass tile.
    The product I used was STO Dispersion Adhesive Supplemental Specification deluted with 10% water than use STO BTS-PLUS trowel applied, sand smooth prime and paint.
    Other options trowel a copat of STO Varilit and for a very hard surface check out STO Decocoat.
    Dispersion cost approx. $ 100.00 per 5 Gal.
    The Varilit or Decocoat $ 125.00 per 5 Gal
    STO BTS-PLUS Approx. $ 50.00 per 60 lbs.bag.
    Your total material cost Est $ 275.00

Ok, looks like its getting ripped out! Thank you for the advice.