+ Reply to Thread

Default Everday cleaners for old pipes

Hi,
    I just bought a house built in 1895. A plumber told me I shouldn't use things like comet or bleach to clean the tub, toilet, etc... because it will corrode the pipes. Does anyone know what I should look for on labels that is unsafe? And do you have any suggestions of good cleaners that are safe for old pipes?

Default Re: Everday cleaners for old pipes

Basically, you don't want to use corrosive things - bleach is corrosive. I also strongly advise against using abrasive cleansers because they damage the finish on sinks and surfaces, those that contain bleach would also be corrosive to a degree.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MGerrit View Post
    Hi,
    I just bought a house built in 1895. A plumber told me I shouldn't use things like comet or bleach to clean the tub, toilet, etc... because it will corrode the pipes. Does anyone know what I should look for on labels that is unsafe? And do you have any suggestions of good cleaners that are safe for old pipes?
    I defer to others about old pipes, but even water is corrosive as it is slowly combining with metal to form rust (metal oxide).

I would try the "natural" cleaners like "7th Generation" for surfaces. The "Method" brand (Target and others) promotes itself as green or environment friendly. They all tend to be more expensive than the typical Clorox/SCJohnson products.

I would probably pay attention to products that says "will stain metal surfaces" since a stain is an etching. The scientists out there may say I'm wrong if they say corrosion ( metal giving up electrons) is different than staining (but bleach doesn't stain finished metal surfaces) so really, I don't know what I'm talking about.

I do know not to use toilet tablets; my Toto toilet rubber gaskets went after 6 months of tablets but Toto sent free flush valve gaskets. I wouldn't trust the label that says the rubber is "chlorine resistant."

Without bleach, it is tempting to use products that "kills 99.94% bacteria" for kitchen surfaces. They said that bacteria hand washing liquids are producing nasty bacteria bugs that are evolving to resist those bacteria killing hand washes.

The big question is whether you can use CLR, which is the most effective if you have hard water. Sometimes, you have to use what you need to use to get something done.

I had a slow drain in bathroom sink and also in shower. PLumber across the street was away so I came onto TOH> Well I saw a possible remedy. Baking soda and vinegar. 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup of vinegar. (I buy white vinegar store brand by the gallon. Wife has allergies to many cleaners.) I used it then flushed it with hot water. Not boiling hot cause can crack porcelain sink per the suggestion on TOH. It worked fine! It won't unclog a drain but it will do well with a slow drain. Also you really have to flush well because you are creating a paste and if not flushed well it can harden. Actually plumber said some people have no patience and continue to use remedy over and over for a clogged sink.

I use vinegar (less than $3 for 4 litres)+ baking soda ($1)+ water. It's safe and does the job.