+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gas vs. Electric; Separate Oven/Range vs. Combined?

My spouse and I are planning a complete redesign of our kitchen and are trying to decide which cooking configuration would be best for us. Gas is very appealing because of its reliability during power outages. However, I have heard that baking in gas ovens is tricky because they do not maintain the desired temperature as well as electric ovens. This makes me wonder if a gas range with an electric oven elsewhere is a good option. We do alot of cooking and baking in our kitchen, so having appliances that consistently do their jobs is very important.

Which cooking setup works best for you?

Default Re: Gas vs. Electric; Separate Oven/Range vs. Combined?

I am not a proponent of gas, I have yet to find a gas cooking device that is adequately controllable. While newer appliances are better, they're still lacking. You are correct that electric ovens are better than gas.

Whether you get a combination free standing unit or purchase separate cooktop/oven appliances is up to your personal preference. The advantage of separate appliances is that the ovens can be mounted at eye level, making them easier to see into and use.

If you do a lot of baking, then you probably know the benefits of a dual oven, especially for holiday cooking and parties. If you want to go the double oven route, then I would suggest designing a separate cooktop and double oven lay out rather than a freestanding appliance.

As I mentioned, newer gas appliances are better than they used to be, but that doesn't make them good. The problem is in being able to turn the flame low enough to simmer/warm a pot rather than keep it at a full boil. As long as you only want to use high temps, gas may be fine.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Personally, I prefer cooking and baking with gas. Actually, I don't know anybody who prefers electricity. I know a few who have electric stoves and ovens who wish they had gas. However gas is not available everywhere.

If you do a lot of baking, a built in oven and a cook top are better, because you will do less bending with a wall oven (better for the old lower back). Keep in mind that there are less built in oven available these days than in the past. The reason, IMO, is lower demand from builders.

Happy cooking and baking!

I have heard that most professional cooks prefer a gas cooktop and electric oven(s). There are pro grade freestanding units that have the gas top and electric ovens.

However, as I get older, I find stooping over to peer into the oven, or to open the lower cabinet doors and crawl around on my hands and knees to get something in the back to be less comfortable than it used to be.

I am in the thinking stages of a kitchen remodel and if I go through with it, I will have separate units and all the lower cabinets will be drawers, as much as possible.

Not sure how long these have been around, but I just learned that dual fuel models are offered by several companies. This is a single unit with a gas range over an electric oven, which got me pretty excited! (Maybe this is what Keith was referring to?) Although I like the wall-mounted ovens, I worry that this would take away from needed cabinet space. Anyone have experience with one of these dual fuel types?
    Last edited by MLGaffin; 12-28-2011 at 11:20 AM.

I know that Fisher & Paykel makes a combination gas electric 36" wide range. Do your homework, read comments if you can find them, before buying it.

As far as "cabinet space": wall oven or free standing oven use about the same space, except the space locations are different. It's all about what's convenient for you.

The dual fuel, gas range over electric oven was what I was referring to. I think you missed my point about the advantages of the wall oven, more useable space, not less.

When you get older, you will find it harder to keep bending over to get things in and out of the oven, and you will find that cabinet doors below the counter make things difficult to get. Drawers would be a lot easier and space efficient. You see a lot of pull out shelves available for counters with doors below, but they do waste a lot of space. 36" drawers would be a lot more efficient for pot and pan storage.

Quote Originally Posted by MLGaffin View Post
    My spouse and I are planning a complete redesign of our kitchen and are trying to decide which cooking configuration would be best for us. Gas is very appealing because of its reliability during power outages. However, I have heard that baking in gas ovens is tricky because they do not maintain the desired temperature as well as electric ovens. This makes me wonder if a gas range with an electric oven elsewhere is a good option. We do alot of cooking and baking in our kitchen, so having appliances that consistently do their jobs is very important.

Which cooking setup works best for you?
    Since you do a lot of cooking, I'm sure you have preferences. I think your question can be broken down in 2 parts: layout and fuel source.
    (1) Layout -- you cannot beat in-wall ovens, separated from stove top, if you have the space. My (former) set up was (1) regular convection oven, (2) dual mode oven (micro wave plus oven convection) smaller size, and (3) warmer. My setup was also 24" in an galley kitchen which meant we basically had 1 choice if we wanted 2 ovens & microwave in 2 boxes -- Miele, and the hardware and installation was close to $10,000. You have a ton of choices at 27" and 30".
    (2) Fuel Source - first, you need to determine the cost of switching or adding a 2nd fuel source. My cement slab 1 story flat roof house restricted us to the existing all-electric setup. When you watch a food show, see anyone doing stove top cooking with electric (the correct answer is no)? Gas was not possible for us, but an electric cook top with touch sensitive controls doesn't show itself as a cook top and disappears in the countertop. Here, you have a choice of 30", 36" or maybe even larger cook tops.
    But if you want to show off 6 gas gas burners to your visitors when you're not using them, then it's your decision.
    My suggestion is that you should stay with your current fuel source.
    Ovens - If gas, I think newer ovens require electric power because the controls are electronic and/or it requires electric ignition, so you're not likely to be cooking during a power outage. We have had electric ovens for many years, and I not sure if there's any difference in heat produced by a gas burner vs. electric element. With convection cooking, I'm think it's a toss up so save money by sticking with the current fuel.

The Today Show cooking segments use electric cooktops. They might be induction coils, I can't tell, but they are not gas.

I personally like gas. I have not had the benefit of ever using a dual fuel range yet but will look at one when I remodel my kitchen. we are avid cooks in my family.

In any case, it will have a gas cooktop. I have been drooling over some of the AGA ranges. They are like pieces of art.

I grew up with a Chambers range and might consider one of those also.