+ Reply to Thread

Default Remove a small section of baseboard hotwater heater

I am getting ready to start a remodeling project in my home in which I want to expand my sons' room to give them added space. I want to install a new wall in which I will need to cut out a small section of the baseboard hot water heating. Fortunately, I am able to isolate the particular zone as it has shut off valves, drain valves, and air bleeders already installed. My question is, is it possible that I can simply cut out the small 20 inch section that I want removed or do I need to go buy new register sections? If I can simply cut out the small section, can you please expalain to me what needs to be done to remove the aluminum fins so I can install the loop under the floor under the new wall?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Wayne

Default Re: Remove a small section of baseboard hotwater heater

Once you cut the copper the fins just pull off . But be careful they are sharp. Removing 20" won't make a large difference in the amount of heat in the room. But if your also enlarging the room it will require more baseboard. The base board is rated for 580 BTU's per ft.

John

Wayne,

I agree with John as to the procedure you should follow.

I'm a little confused after reading your post as to exactly what you're trying to do--------if you are "expanding" the room and will be able to leave the other metal parts of the baseboard covers at the length they are now this would be a simple project of shutting off the boiler water supply & perhaps draining a gallon or so from the boiler drain valve at the bottom of the boiler.

You would then have to solder (assuming copper pipes) a small extension piece from the supply/return riser to the shorter location (including a bleed valve if present) on the fin-tube assembly that you had cut off as John directed.

Please advise if you intend to shorten the wall at this point----in which case you would have to also cut the steel baseboard covers the appropriate length, as well as move the supply/return riser to the shorter position.

Please clarify.

The room I am expanding is my sons' bedroom. In order to do so, I have to install an new wall about 6 feet log. To do this I need to remove the small section of the baseboard heater. This will allow me to install the wall properly and not loose any heating of the space.

Thanks for your advise, it is greatly appreciated.

Wayne