+ Reply to Thread

Default Getting hot water to your washing machine

Just because you set your washing machine to hot does not guarantee that you are actually getting hot water into it. I found that it takes about 2 gallons of cold water coming thru my pipes leading from the water heater before it actually felt hot. I have a high-efficiency machine. 2 gallons is more than a load uses in the wash cycle, so hot water would never make it into the machine. What I did is put a high quality brass Y-splitter on the spigot. One hose to the machine, one hose looping around back to the drain. Before I start the machine I turn on the bypass hose until the water feels hot. This way I know hot water is ready to flow into my machine. I fill a watering can with the cold water to water plants, fill the fountain, etc.

Default Re: Getting hot water to your washing machine

If you tap into the same hot water line that feeds the sink, you can just turn on the sink faucet until hot and acomplish the same thing.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I applaud your creativity and water saving method. Dumping 2 gallons of water is a waste, even when you pay only 1 cent for them on the average.

If every American saved 2 gallons of water a day, well, you know the rest of the story.

Then there is the dishwasher.....

FYI, these are the standard temperatures used by clothing and detergent manufacturers when writing laundering instructions:

Hot = 120F = 50C (straight out of the water heater)
    Warm = 105F = 40C (hot tub)
    Cold = 85F = 30C (swimming pool)

I'll bet that's a lot warmer than you expected!

In much of the country, "cold" water is too cold and powdered detergent won't dissolve properly. Even if the detergent does dissolve, the water still isn't warm enough to emulsify the skin oils that linger in the clothes. If your washer has automatic temperature control, you should select that option to make sure you get the proper water temperature. (Of course, this doesn't help if the fill time is shorter than the time it takes to get hot water to the washer.)
    Last edited by Fencepost; 12-25-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    If you tap into the same hot water line that feeds the sink, you can just turn on the sink faucet until hot and acomplish the same thing.

Jack
    Afraid not JL. Tried the obvious before "my fix" taking a shower (which is farther from the water heater than any sink I have. Made no difference. My solution is the only one that works for me.