+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Symmons Temptrol scalding/leaking

My Symmons temptrol was causing scalding, so I changed the flow control spindle. When I turned the water back on, the shower kept running (cold). I put the old one back in and it shuts off fine (still scalds).
    I Called Symmons and they sent a new hot and cold seat because my unit was more than 10yrs old (18 actually). I put in the new seats and the new spindle valve and it still won't shut off. I put the old spindle back in again but with the new seats and it shuts off fine.
    I have tried a second new spindle with the same results. Spindles are genuine Symmons. How can this be?

Default Re: Symmons Temptrol scalding/leaking

You need to follow the instructions precisely to get it right. If you do, there is no way it can't work. It's not rocket science.

trust me - I read those instructions forwards and backwards 100 times. As you noted - its not rocket science.
    Note - reinstalling the old control spindle results in proper shut-off operation - except for the fact the balancing valve still sticks.

I am begining to think that maybe I got a defective spindle, except it happened with two of them - unless they were from the same lot.

When you rebuild a Symmons Temptrol you must replace all the parts at the same time. I am very surprised Symmoms didn't tell you that. There is a spool and a seat that must also be changed along with the cartridge. There is a complete kit along with the tools need to do the job. It's a strange setup. Here is a link that shows the kit need to do the job. This same valve is also sold under the name of Mix IT.

http://www.plumbingpartsdepot.com/symmonstemtrol.pdf

John

John

Could you be more specific?
    The link you included is the generic Symmons
    INSTALLATION, OPERATION & SERVICE INSTRUCTIONS sheet which I now have 5 copies of. It does show a number of composite assembles but not a "repair kit"
    I have replaced the TA-10 spindle (twice) and the hot and cold seats TA-4.
    I understand that this is not really a do-it-yourself fixture but rather a "plumbers" fixture. However I am baffled as to why after replacing the mating surfaces (TA-4) per instructions with the special tool and all, the new spindle continues to not completely shut off the cold water - but when I reinstall the old spindle (new seats still in place) it shuts off perfectly. If I had messed up the seat installation, I would have expected it to leak with the new OR old spindle.

Interstingly - when I spoke to the Symmons guy on the phone, the first question was how old is the fixture (it's 18yrs old). Apperently there was a minor redesign 10yrs ago. He stated I needed new hot and cold seats as well which he graciously sent me along with the special tool. When I removed the old seats I compared them and they appeared identical. I would have expected to see a slight difference in the seat height.

Is it possible I inadvertantly was given old style seats (do they even still make them?).
    Is it possible I got a defective spindle, twice?

rchandyman,

Let me ask you this:

When you unscrewed the cap (T-12A), did you set the valve at "warm" position?

If you can't remember, you may have damaged the spindles.

Did you install new TA-9 parts? I'm not sure if there was a parts change from the older versions. I hate to say it but these faucets have been a problem from day one. You may reach a point were replacement is your only option. If that is what you end up doing then let me suggest using Delta. They have a life time warranty on parts and finish. It's the only faucet I have recommended for the past 35 years. They have been using the same design and parts for that long.

John

dj1:
    Yes sir, I opened the valve slightly before the initially monumental task of getting the cap free. I too was concerned that I didn't have it open enough and perhaps this is the problem, but if I had messed up with this step and damaged the spindle as you say, it's the spindle that I am replacing. When I reinstall the old spindle it shuts off properly. Is there something else that could have been damaged, and if so does it make sense that with the old spindle back in place it closes properly?

John:
    The new TA-10 assembly includes all the pieces shown in TA-9 except for the T-11 cap. So I get new hot and cold washers already installed on the spindle.
    I'm not quite to the point of ripping out the Symmons - there is no inexpensive access from the back.

You should be able to replace the Symmons through the existing hole for it's valve body.

John

Look, I hear what you are sayin, if you want to try a third new spindle, go ahead. There is a possibility, even though small, that the first two were defective or misfit.

You have an option to lower the water heater temperature to around 103 F.

Last resort, replace the body. This time get a small body, like Delta/Peerless as John says. Inexpensive and dependable with parts available everywhere. After all you got 18 years out of your faucet. Not bad.