+ Reply to Thread

Default Drywall over wall boards???

1930's Craftsman style home. The walls are 2x4 then 3/4" tounge and grove. Wanted to know best way to drywall the walls. If I go over the wall boards then the rock blends in with the trim. If I take the trim off then each door way will have gaps in the jams. We are trying to keep the original wood work. Thanks

Default Re: Drywall over wall boards???

The way similar situations are handled when removing lath and plaster is to remove everything to bare studs. This is the perfect time to add any additional wiring, plumbing, or insulation. Then fur out the studs so that the finished surface of the drywall will be equal to that of the existing finished wall. That means adding 1/4" shims to the stud, plus 1/2" drywall will give you your 3/4" finished wall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

How are the rest of the homes in your area done?

In my 1927 bungalow (and the rest of the neighborhood) the 1/4" drywall is nailed right over the 3/4" shiplap then caulked around the edges. Originally there was no caulking, that was added some 40 years later.

Spruce,
    I thought about shims but I really don't want to take down all the door and window frames. I was wondering if 1/4 sheetrock would work?

HoustonRemodeler,
    The way the house is contructed is 2x4's, wall boards, cheese clothe, wall paper and finally panneling.

Spruce's suggestions is the best for you and will give you the best satisfying results. That's what I would do, without wasting any time.

I know it is a lot of work to remove the trim, but it is all about how good you want the finished product to be. If your existing walls are anything like the 150 year old farm house I grew up in, there is no way you'll get 1/4" drywall to lay flat and look good. The one benefit to leaving the shiplap behind the drywall is that you'll be able to hang anything you want, anywhere you want with ease and without the need for wall anchors.

There is another option. You could go ahead and overlay the shiplap, but instead of using 1/4 that will follow every ripple in the wall, use 1/2" or 5/8" drywall everywhere except for a 6" strip of 1/4" drywall around all the trim. You can either tape the disparaging joints or better would be to install a molding. This technique will give you depth and character. You can do one wall this way to see how you like it, and continue throughout the house if you do or not if you don't.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kellamron
    The way the house is contructed is 2x4's, wall boards, cheese clothe, wall paper and finally paneling.
    Yes, same here 'cept the paneling.

In every bungalow I've seen a lot of the shiplap on the walls under laps the perpendicular walls which makes removing the shiplap a real chore to remove unless you are stripping the entire inside of the house. In the case of the doors and windows, the shiplap holds them in place.

When overlaying with 1/4" drywall you will have lumps and bumps, but guess what - you own a 100 year old home that had lumps and bumps before you got there. Mine too. Then we can talk about the out-of-square walls, the cobbled together repairs from days gone by, wide spacing of the structural lumber and the complete lack of insulation for starters.

I'd vote for Spruce's first idea. It would give the best finished product and allow you to upgrade utilities. A 1930's house would have little or virtually no insulation and the wiring would be archaic by today's standards.