+ Reply to Thread

Default Thermostat Ground Wire Help

I am attempting to replace the thermostats for the electric baseboard (one forced fan) heat system in our cabin in northern PA. I have a mix of single pole and double pole conditions. My problem is that I can't find new digital thermostats that have a place for the ground wire. Is such a thermostat made? What do I do with the ground wire? The existing electrical boxes are plastic.
    Thank you for all your advice in advance!

Default Re: Thermostat Ground Wire Help

Just wire nut the grounds together. It serves very little purpose on the thermostat.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack:
    I only have the single ground wire coming out of the wall/plastic electrical box. All the digital thermostats I find do not have a ground nut, or ground wire coming from them. Is this typical? Are thermostats for electrical baseboard heaters not grounded?
    Thank you,
    Erin

What color is that wire you are talking about?
    Did you connect all other wires? Is the heater working?

Almost all modern thermostats are plastic a ground would serve no purpose. Just wire nit the ground wire and fold into the box.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb