+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing Wall Tile on Plaster Wall

Tearing out my masterbath next week.Trying to work out a detail that has been buggin me. Walls are plaster with tile up to 48". When I tear off tile I'll be left with some pretty nasty wall conditions.

My plan is to install drywall up to 48" in the dry areas where tile was before, excluding the tub/shower surround? I'm not re-tiling the walls, only in the shower. At the joint where existing plaster wall meets this new drywall will be an uneven joint. Would a chair rail be appropriate to cover that joint, or is there another method? I cannot run the risk of having it split and crack.

Default Re: Removing Wall Tile on Plaster Wall

When removing your old tiles, try to clean all the mastic/thinset off the walls, using a wide cold chisel, until smooth.

You can use trim tiles around the field tiles to hide any imperfection. There are many designs to choose from.

Don't forget to plug your drain before you start demolition.

I just did a job like this two weeks ago, but I tiled to the ceiling.

Where the plaster meets the drywall i assume you mean an uneven joint because it will be a different thickness? If that is the case you can get an appropriate thickness of drywall to more closely match it or a combination of thicknesses. If I were in your situation I would simply tape the joint with a few layers of joint compound to further feather it out and build strength along the joint.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

If I tape the joint, mud, and feather it out, don't I still run the risk of having it crack later down the road? Due to the dissimlar properties of the existing plaster and new drywall? That's why I am leaning towards installing a chair rail or crown molding with shelf along the joint around the dry areas of the bath.

There is a mesh joint tape for this purpose that i have had good results with but if it makes you feel more comfortable then i dont see how chair rail could hurt.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content