+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceiling fan and light problem

I'm trying to replace an ceiling fan/light fixture in one of my bedrooms. I removed the old fan, and installed the new one. Black and blue wire are tied with the black wire, white with white. Both fan and light didn't work! Went to check the fuse box and nothing was tripped. I thought I'd try to install the old fan again. That one doesn't work now! I know I'm connecting the wiring how it should be! I'm confused.... the other outlets in the room work, and they are all on the same fuse in this bedroom!?!

Default Re: Ceiling fan and light problem

How many wires are in the ceiling box and what color are they? Do you have one switch or two to control the fan/light?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    How many wires are in the ceiling box and what color are they? Do you have one switch or two to control the fan/light?
    2 wires in the ceiling box. One is white, the other is black.

I just went out to buy a voltage checker, and checked the white and black wires... no dice.

I went to the switch, and checked the white and black wires going to the switch... no dice!!

So, it seems there's something wrong with the wire or the circuit breaker?

The other outlets in the same room work, hence being on here and typing this!

No other circuits are broken on the fuse box.

Howdy, if you have circuit breakers trip the one for this light and re set it Then retest the wires. If the wires are not pig tailed to others in the box then the breaker may of partially tripped.

Quote Originally Posted by kevmk81 View Post
    2 wires in the ceiling box. One is white, the other is black.

I just went out to buy a voltage checker, and checked the white and black wires... no dice.

I went to the switch, and checked the white and black wires going to the switch... no dice!!

So, it seems there's something wrong with the wire or the circuit breaker?

The other outlets in the same room work, hence being on here and typing this!

No other circuits are broken on the fuse box.
    Something doesn't jive if there are only 2 wires ( black & white ) in the ceiling box
    and having a white & black wire attached to the switch.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I'd call an electrical contractor.