+ Reply to Thread

Default Basement - Stone Wall

My home is an 1900's farm house with a stone walled basement. There appears to be plaster covering the stone, which most of it is beginning to come off or is missing. My guess it that it was a moisture barrier. If that is correct, I would like to refinish the walls, but have do not know where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Basement - Stone Wall

If most of your plaster is coming off and you want to replace it, start with removing the rest of the plaster and doing the necessary prep work for the new drywall.

If this is a mortared field stone house the best you can do is to;

1- Carefully chip away the loose material and clean the stones. Don't chip away so much as to collapse the wall and endanger your life.

2- Nail a board to the floor connected to studs going up to the ceiling to create a temporary wall. This is to hold the boards which you'll put in as you build up the wall.

3- Place a 6 inch tall board or so between the studs and the stone wall.

4- Fill the space between the board and the stone wall with new concrete.

5- Add another board and repeat the process.

If you build a nicely studded temporary wall in a flat plane, once the concrete has cured you'll pull down the temporary wall and batten boards to reveal your new flat ceement wall.

Quote Originally Posted by DSmith33 View Post
    My home is an 1900's farm house with a stone walled basement. There appears to be plaster covering the stone, which most of it is beginning to come off or is missing. My guess it that it was a moisture barrier. If that is correct, I would like to refinish the walls, but have do not know where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    It's basically a parging.
    More than likely you have water infiltration through cracked or missing mortar joints for the stone ,which is causing the parging to fall apart --- which shows the parging isn't waterproof.

Basically, you need to break off , pry , chip the parge covering to expose the stone. From there you need to repoint the failed mortar joints.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush