+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default HELP!!! Upgrading Electrical Outlets

I am currently upgrading the switch and receptacles in our nursery, as we are expecting our first child in a few months. I have come across a scenario where I am stuck. The room has 5 receptacles and 1 switch, no ceiling lights. I have changed all the outlets and switch and followed the previous format. Before I moved to each outlet I tested to make sure it worked. Now a day later I have no power to three outlets and the switch, the other two outlets work fine. The switch has two drops or cables coming into it, (middle of the run), one outlet has 1 cable going to it, (end of run) this outlet also is the one controlled by the switch. The 2nd outlet has 3 cables coming to it, I have never seen this before, so it has 3 hot, 3 neutral, and the last outlet has 2 cables coming to it, middle of the run.

There is no power to any of these outlets or the switch. The breakers are not tripped, and it all worked prior. I don't understand and I am assuming that the outlet with 3 cable drops is the where the other two and the switch get there power from, but none of those lines coming into that outlet have any power. What is going on? I would appreciate any help!! PLEASE! Thanks

Default Re: HELP!!! Upgrading Electrical Outlets

Did you save the old receptacles? At least one of them might have had a tab removed (so the old switch operated only half of the duplex receptacle). If none of them had a tab removed then the switch probably operated both sides of that duplex receptacle.

At least one of the receptacles had to be controlled by the switch. That might have controlled just half of one duplex, or the entire receptacle. It is possible that others were similarly controlled by the switch.

Did you make a diagram of each receptacle as to how it was wired originally, or take pictures of each one before you started?

How old is the house? Recently required to mark a switch loop using black and white wire for the switch loop.

You have to identify where the source power to the switch is coming from.

What testing equipment do you have.

Photos or diagram would help. Hope you took notes, or labeled the wiring or took a photo before you started.

I used to care but do not any more........

Call an electrician.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Over My Hammy View Post
    Did you save the old receptacles? At least one of them might have had a tab removed (so the old switch operated only half of the duplex receptacle). If none of them had a tab removed then the switch probably operated both sides of that duplex receptacle.
    At least one of the receptacles had to be controlled by the switch. That might have controlled just half of one duplex, or the entire receptacle. It is possible that others were similarly controlled by the switch.

Did you make a diagram of each receptacle as to how it was wired originally, or take pictures of each one before you started?

How old is the house? Recently required to mark a switch loop using black and white wire for the switch loop.

You have to identify where the source power to the switch is coming from.

What testing equipment do you have.

Photos or diagram would help. Hope you took notes, or labeled the wiring or took a photo before you started.
    I did save the old receptacles. There were no tabs removed. The light only operated the one receptacle, it looks as if that 3 cable drop powers that circut, which leads to the switch, then to the other receptacle. What I don't understand is that the hot wire feeding in from the bottom of the outlet box was connected to the bottom receptacle terminal, then the cable that came from the top of the outlet box, the hot wire is connected to the top terminal on the outlet, and the 3rd hot wire cable feeds the outlet box from the right side and feeds into the top push in terminal.

I have a Gardner Bender 3 range voltage indicator it has two thin prongs at the end, which you stick into the sockets, those sockets have no juice. when I disconnect that recptacle and use that tester against the bare wires, nothing at all. I did make note of everything, I have each outlet diargramed.

First of all the wires should be on the screws not in the stab connectors. It's quite possible that one of the stab connectors is bad. You also need to check the common wires, you will not have power if the common is bad.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Like Jack mentioned .... you could have a bad neutral connection for those receptacles that aren't working.
    If you have a grounded circuit .... try measuring between the grounded box and hot wire for voltage. If it shows voltage then you have a broken neutral connection.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Did you call an electrician? You really should. It is kind of like pizza.......... Leave it to the pro's. Sure, you may pay more but it is just better and delivered hot.

If you bet right on Basketball all will be okay.
    Last edited by NEC; 04-04-2009 at 09:10 PM.