+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool $42/sq.ft labor cost only for floor only tile install?

Hi, I live north of Boston and recently got a quote for $1000.00 to install tile which I had already purchased a few weeks ago in a VERY SMALL 24 sq. ft. bathroom next to our kitchen. I know it is labor intensive but the floor is just a floating Pergo and I can easily remove the new tiny vanity and toilet myself (they are only 1 year old). I am feeling badly because I backed out at the last minute once he gave me the price and he lives a couple streets away. I already assumed the cost of the tile. Was I wrong to think that $42.00 sq. ft. was really high?
    Last edited by Mauiblue; 12-17-2011 at 05:55 AM. Reason: A sentence did not make sense.

Default Re: $42/sq.ft labor cost only for floor only tile install?

It sounds like a lot but it would depend on a few things. What type of tile and pattern? If it is an intricate pattern it takes longer to put down and will cost more. If the floor is not flat it will have to be leveled first especially if you are using large tiles. Is the room rectangular or is it odd shaped? If it is odd shaped there will be a lot more cuts to make. Did the quote have a detailed list of everything he was going to do? If so you can see whether the costs add up or not. Hope this helps you out.

Mike

This illustrates how important it is to get multiple bids, even for a small bathroom tile floor. This bid, even if the job was a bit complicated, is out of line. Yes, it's labor intensive and requires cuts and moving the toilet. Yes, it requires 2 visits. Still it's overpriced.

Why do you feel the pressure if the guy lives 2 blocks away? On the contrary, he should have to feel the pressure, not you. Tell him to wait till you get more estimates.

We just finished a 45 sq ft bathroom that took 2 men 4 days to complete. But I can't see your bathroom or tiles or pattern or job site conditions from here.

The price all depends on what you perceive to be a fair price, how you value the work. That number may be totally different than contractor A and B and C.

He also may have bid it very high so that you would say NO so that he didn't have to work for someone he knows.

Wink Re: $42/sq.ft labor cost only for floor only tile install?

for such a small job why not do it yourself?
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mauiblue View Post
    Hi, I live north of Boston and recently got a quote for $1000.00 to install tile which I had already purchased a few weeks ago in a VERY SMALL 24 sq. ft. bathroom next to our kitchen. I know it is labor intensive but the floor is just a floating Pergo and I can easily remove the new tiny vanity and toilet myself (they are only 1 year old). I am feeling badly because I backed out at the last minute once he gave me the price and he lives a couple streets away. I already assumed the cost of the tile. Was I wrong to think that $42.00 sq. ft. was really high?
    Definately too high if there are no materials included.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

*** that's a very proud workmanship. Competitive bids might reveal what a fair price is in your area. Consider contacting the tile suppliers for some referrals of tile guys that do small jobs.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

I'm with Houston on this one, without knowing more about the structure and the situation, there is no way anyone can definitively say anything about the price quote.

Pergo or not, that has to come out before starting, toilet too. Cabinet can stay or go depending on how it's installed, caulked, painted, etc.

The tile base has to be addressed. What is the subfloor and framing like? Is it sufficient to support the tile you want installed? Will it be over tile board or cement bed? Are these tiles 16" square, random sizes, ??? Is there any decorative trim being used within the floor pattern? Are you installing tile baseboard?

Then there are logistics such as where the bathroom is located in the house and how far away the installer has to set up his equipment and how much protective masking throughout the house he has to use. Regardless of him being 5 minutes away, he'll have at least one trip to the supply house for materials that will add at least one hour and vehicle costs to the job time.

His quote also likely includes incidentals that you haven't accounted for, such as the tile backer/base, grout, sealant, etc.

Lastly, as has been said, regardless of the job size and parameters, you should always solicit at least three bids, unless you already know and trust the contractor doing the work, even then the occasional additional bid will keep them honest.

Good luck with your project, let us know how it goes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Thank you everyone!!!!

I will get 3 quotes for every project now this way I will feel more secure in my decision making process. In the end I will do it myself sometime in the Spring. I hope everyone had a great holiday season and Happy New Year!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I'm with Houston on this one, without knowing more about the structure and the situation, there is no way anyone can definitively say anything about the price quote.

Pergo or not, that has to come out before starting, toilet too. Cabinet can stay or go depending on how it's installed, caulked, painted, etc.

The tile base has to be addressed. What is the subfloor and framing like? Is it sufficient to support the tile you want installed? Will it be over tile board or cement bed? Are these tiles 16" square, random sizes, ??? Is there any decorative trim being used within the floor pattern? Are you installing tile baseboard?

Then there are logistics such as where the bathroom is located in the house and how far away the installer has to set up his equipment and how much protective masking throughout the house he has to use. Regardless of him being 5 minutes away, he'll have at least one trip to the supply house for materials that will add at least one hour and vehicle costs to the job time.

His quote also likely includes incidentals that you haven't accounted for, such as the tile backer/base, grout, sealant, etc.

Lastly, as has been said, regardless of the job size and parameters, you should always solicit at least three bids, unless you already know and trust the contractor doing the work, even then the occasional additional bid will keep them honest.

Good luck with your project, let us know how it goes.
    I agree there *may* be some other considerations required as to sturcturing. However, *if* things are favourable then I would still say the price seems high.

Friends decided to redo their bathroom (just over 40 sq ft ) between Christmas and New Year --- which is ambitious especially trying to get contractors in.

The bathroom floor had new porcelin floor tiles installed --- contractor supplied Ditra , thinset , grout and his labour --- total cost $500 including taxes.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush