+ Reply to Thread

Default Cracked Concrete

I have a 14' x 14' concrete pad in my driveway (the rest of the driveway is paved). I do not plan to repave my driveway and am looking at removing the concrete. Any ideas on what to use as a replacement surface? The area is generally quite wet, which has caused the concrete to excessively crack (avg. crack is 2" wide). The pad leads into my backyard, so I am looking for something that would be sturdy, aesthetically pleasing and not prone to crack due to excess moisture and freeze/thaw cycles.

I live in Atlantic Canada with wide temperature ranges (-20F - 100F)

Default Re: Cracked Concrete

Howdy, @ 2" crack sounds like some issues with soil movement too. Consider the new pavers that allow water to move threw them. An would back fill at least 2" of gravel compacted. More if your pocket book affords it.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

If you decide on concrete again, and given the temperature extremes and cracking of the present pad, I would recommend a (2 cm) rebar steel-reinforced slab at least 4" thick (10.2 cm), and perhaps even 6" thick (15.2 cm), the thickest part of the slab should be that section adjoining the street, often used by commercial trucks to back up.

The problems you had with the present pad are not due to excessive water, but the freeze/thaw cycle, especially at -20F (-28C) winter temps----this causes considerable ground heave, so you should also install 6" (15.2 cm) of crushed stone as a base.

Pitching the pad/slab slightly will insure maximum water runoff.

If there are any heavy truck deliveries that will use the pad, such as oil deliviery, this also will invite cracking, and warrants a 15.2 cm slab.

Remember that the crushed stone dealer will charge you approx the same amount for 2 yards or 5 yards of crushed stone, because it's a single delivery.

Such a slab/pad as previously described will last for decades without any problems.

A properly done 14X14 concrete slab will not crack, so I'd just do the job right this time. Don't just listen to some local builder or asphalt paver, consult with an engineer or at least a concrete roadway paver about how to do this. A 6" thick slab with proper reinforcing and proper ground prep will last you 100+ years or more in this application. Concrete properly done is as everlasting a building material as we have, but there's a lot more to it than meets the eye and usually the failure point is underneath what you see going wrong.