+ Reply to Thread

Default D/W and Disposal on same 15A C/B

Installing a new D/W at wife's house, noticed 15A c/b marked general lighting to be on same circuit as D/W & Disposal. It appears to control light over sink and disposal switch. I don't think the house was build w disposal b/c box that it plugs into is attached to face of cabinet and has wire coming out of bottom of box to D/W. I think this box is tied to the outside electrical box on outside opposite wall.

Default Re: D/W and Disposal on same 15A C/B

I prefer the dishwasher and the garbage disposer to be on separate 20 amp circuits.

I'm not an electrical expert but I have followed similar posts and having seen the load calculations from other experts I am convinced that your best bet is to at minimum have a dedicated 20A line to share between the garbage disposal/dishwasher.

If I were in your position, I would install a new dedicated 20A breaker for the dishwasher to use. Should be fairly cheap as well especially for the peace of mind knowing its done right.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

In any new construction we share a 20a between the DW and GD. In remodels often times its easier to run a new line to the DW.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    In any new construction we share a 20a between the DW and GD. In remodels often times its easier to run a new line to the DW.
    Ditto.....