+ Reply to Thread

Red face Painting Kitchen Cabinets

I've decided to crackle paint the kitchen cabinets in my boyfriends home. I do have some questions though!

1) He has the cheap fake wood cabinets that are in trailer houses, Do I sand them first?

2) He has tons of cabinet space, I'm unsure what color to use. I don't want to use a bold color thats too overwhelming... Any suggestions?

Default Re: Painting Kitchen Cabinets

I wouldn't recommend that style of painting in a kitchen environment. What a PITA to have to try to keep clean. Leave it a smooth painted surface, you'll be much happier with it.

If your cabinets are anything like mine, then they're photo-finished, which is a fancy way of saying a pretty picture is printed onto paper and glued to the cabinet surfaces. You can paint this, but you're going to want to clean them first with TSP and a light sanding to just scuff up the surface and give the paint something to adhere to.

As for color, I'd stick with traditional white/off white and use complimentary accent colors for the room walls. Painting cabinets is a pain, you don't want to have to repaint them again any time soon, walls are easy to paint, hence using them for color spots.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Painting Kitchen Cabinets

Thank you so much, your advice helps a lot! I can't wait to get started