Red face Painting Kitchen Cabinets

I've decided to crackle paint the kitchen cabinets in my boyfriends home. I do have some questions though!

1) He has the cheap fake wood cabinets that are in trailer houses, Do I sand them first?

2) He has tons of cabinet space, I'm unsure what color to use. I don't want to use a bold color thats too overwhelming... Any suggestions?

Default Re: Painting Kitchen Cabinets

I wouldn't recommend that style of painting in a kitchen environment. What a PITA to have to try to keep clean. Leave it a smooth painted surface, you'll be much happier with it.

If your cabinets are anything like mine, then they're photo-finished, which is a fancy way of saying a pretty picture is printed onto paper and glued to the cabinet surfaces. You can paint this, but you're going to want to clean them first with TSP and a light sanding to just scuff up the surface and give the paint something to adhere to.

As for color, I'd stick with traditional white/off white and use complimentary accent colors for the room walls. Painting cabinets is a pain, you don't want to have to repaint them again any time soon, walls are easy to paint, hence using them for color spots.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

Default Re: Painting Kitchen Cabinets

Thank you so much, your advice helps a lot! I can't wait to get started