+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default swanson speed square.

Howdy learned yesterday how east to use it for plum line roof slopes
    for common rafters an how to mark bird mouths . So fellers anybody got a good source for how to learn more for the DIYer?
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Default Re: swanson speed square.

1 - Pay attention when you're working around professionals.
    2 - Always read the instruction manuals that come with new tools, you'll be amazed at what you'll find in there. My speed square came with a pocket framers handbook. My construction calculator's manual tells you how to calculate everything from rafter cuts to stairs. For those of us that don't do those things every day, these reference materials are invaluable.
    3 - Find yourself some good reference manuals. I have Wiring Simplified for all things electrical, and the Stair Builders Handbook, that not only tells you how to lay out steps, it gives you the calcs for just about any stair combination. These things don't replace good working knowledge, but they sure as heck can get you out of a bind.
    4 - Blame everything on the Canukistanians.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

5- YouTube can be a decent source of how to. Just be careful. Generally only watch the videos from the guys with the greyest hair. (most experience)

6- Never attempt taking on a job too big for your skills. You'll end up making HD and Lowes rich (buy materials, mess them up, buy the same materials again...)

why in gods name would you blame us.. we build everything better,, just look at where the top contractor tv show host is from and the #2 lol... its the occupiers.. i mean ameriquanians you gotta be weary of

easily the best book on teh market for learning how to do things is "RENOVATION 3rd edition" from the taunton press. hell anything from taunton is worth having. their the same people that publish fine homebuilding and fine woodworking magazines
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    why in gods name would you blame us.
    Sorry, musta been thinking about that funny looking guy that lives more towards the Great Plains.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

oh yah.. him. yah blame him thats ok.. but if i hear any mention of bluenosers... im dropping bombs.... its chili night and the wind is heading south
    fire up the saw and make some dust

7 - Don't piss off the Canukistanians on chili night!

Spruce is right with the manuals, 9 times out of 10 it's not what you know but where to find the info you need

Before finding the model I use now, I preferred the Swanson square, but the booklet that came with Johnson speed squares was a lot easier to use. It even showed how to lay out stairs with a speed square- not that I recommend doing that, but it shows how versatile these can be.

Phil