+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default extending width of rafters for insulation

My son purchased a 1940's home and we plan on making the attic space a bedroom. The roof rafters are 2x6 on 24" centers, we would like to add as much R value insulation as possible. Our thought is to extend the depth of the 2x6 by adding or attaching a 2x4 to the rafter, making it now a 2x10. Our thought was to glue and screw the 2x4, then add 9.5" batts for an R value of 30. Then, attached to the added 2x4, we would cover it with 1/2" drywall. There would be a ceiling about 8' tall and a 4' knee wall. Is this doable?

thanks

tom

Default Re: extending width of rafters for insulation

Certainly doable but would you want to?

Normally insulation should not be in direct contact with the plywood of the roof system. You'll collect moisture there and cook the shingles off the roof.

You may find spray foam insulation a better option when combined with a venting system for the roof sheathing.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Normally insulation should not be in direct contact with the plywood of the roof system. You'll collect moisture there and cook the shingles off the roof.

You may find spray foam insulation a better option when combined with a venting system for the roof sheathing.
    Hi HustonRemodeler

My plan was to use those foam panels that allow air to move from the sofit to the ridge vent. The problem with high density foam is it must be done by a professional and the CO$T. hoping to keep the cost down and the R value high.

thanks

tom

sounds good to me Tom

regarding spray foam insulation, yes it does HAVE to be done by a professional. they have the gear both to spray and to protect themselves from breathing it in. its also 3x the cost of batt insulation.. locally 2lb foam is $3.75 a sq/ft and 6 lb foam is around $5
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Hi,
    I would put in 6" r-19 batts, then cover the whole thing with 2" rigid foam for another r14, use 3" drywall screws to hang the rock. You end up with better than r33, and save an awful lot of lumber. And the foam spanning over the rafters gives a full thermal break. So you can also decide whether to put in baffles and ridge vent it.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Howdy 8' tall ceiling are you wanting to insulate the rafter bays ? or create a 2by6 ceiling below the ridge beam?
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.