+ Reply to Thread

Default attaching bamboo stair treads

Both my builder, then myself have attached the bamboo stair treads to the roughed in stairs with construction adhesive. both times, the treads have tended to work themselves loose. Can anyone suggest an attachment method that isn't too invasive? I don't really have access to the underside of the stringers, so i think that is out.

Default Re: attaching bamboo stair treads

If you used Liquid nails, you might aughta wanna switch to PL Premium which IMHO is a far better adhesive. Try to get a full spread.

I will try. I had issues b/c the rough stairs weren't completely smooth, so some areas got better adhesion than others. i also couldn't find enough weight to put down to keep pressure.

smoothness and weight shouldn't be an issue.

smoothness and weight shouldn't be an issue.

-- by that i meant to get good/even adhesion.

Don't depend on smooshing the treads down to get good adhesion. Use a plastic trowel to get a "full spread" of glue on both surfaces before placing the treads. Doesn't need to be real thick, as a thin layer on both sides will work just fine.

making sure the level cut on the stringers is free of dust is very important to make sure the adhesive does its job.. also proper fastening is a major thing. you shouldnt need weight if your nailing down the treads or screwing the tread via angle clips from below
    fire up the saw and make some dust

You could try a wood floor adhesive using a notch trowel per the instructions. I did that with my engineered wood floor on the stairs since I didn't want any nails. Came out perfect and after almost 5 years not a single one has come loose.

Mike