+ Reply to Thread

Default French doors in walkout basement

We have french doors in our walkout basement. I don't think the builder did a great job installing it b/c it is leaking around the edge (where the door frame meets the rough wood opening). In order for me to figure out whether he did a bad job or not, i need to understand how to install the doors. I cannot find good info on how to install doors like that, so i'm hoping that i can get some experts here.
    Basically, it is a concrete rough opening all the way around with wood around the inside of the rough opening to true up the walls and provide nailing surfaces. What i don't know is how the r.o is supposed to be sealed/flashed, etc. The exterior of the door has faux stone/mortar right to the door trim. i'm fairly sure that is where the issue is.
    Thanks everyone.

Default Re: French doors in walkout basement

Ways to eliminate a leak:

1. Caulk between the concrete opening and the wood (which acts like a door jamb), to seal it completely. BTW, you didn't mentioned how it's finished on the interior side, where caulking will be most likely needed too.

2. Improve or replace the weatherstripping on the doors, on all sides.

1. Caulk between the concrete opening and the wood (which acts like a door jamb), to seal it completely. BTW, you didn't mentioned how it's finished on the interior side, where caulking will be most likely needed too.

-- There are 2 pieces of wood on the vertical side between the door frame and the concrete. I believe the leak is between the 2 pieces of wood. there isn't enough room for me to caulk between there. The problem is that that is on the interior side, and all that wood has gotten wet. I believe i need to pull the mortar off the outside so i can see if they caulked/sealed properly. i think the mortar has shrunk slightly leaving gaps for water/bugs to get in.
    The reason i was hoping someone could explain the process is so i know what i am looking for when i get that mortar off.

2. Improve or replace the weatherstripping on the doors, on all sides.

-- The weatherstripping is in pretty good condition. The leaking is definitely not between the door and door frame.

Verify if there's good flashing around the wood or not.

It sounds like the rough opening in the concrete was too big, so they installed the wood to fill in the space. There nothing wrong with this approach, as long as it flashed correctly.

Verify if there's good flashing around the wood or not.

It sounds like the rough opening in the concrete was too big, so they installed the wood to fill in the space. There nothing wrong with this approach, as long as it flashed correctly.

-- Agreed. I guess the crux of the question is what is the most common way to flash the door, or is it standard for any exterior door.
    Last edited by jmgreen7; 12-13-2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: elaboration.

You can go to Yputube and find some "flashing an exterior door" demos. Pretty standard.

do you know if the door had a nailing flange on it? if so the best method to flash such a unit is via sealing hte nailing flange with 6" blueskin or vycor. having the vycor comletely cover the nailing flange running out over the sheathing/ house wrap. doing the sides first then the top
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks guys. My previous youtube searches dealt with basement walkout doors, and i surprisingly didn't find anything. i guess spreading the search to all exterior doors will give me a lot more results.