+ Reply to Thread

Default Support pole removal

Hi,
    We have a older Wausau Prefab home dated around 1975. There are 2X8 boards 12' lengths sandwiched together 4 wide going the entire length of house where the 2 modules connected in the center. It appears that every 8 feet, there were support poles installed. The house has cathedral ceilings and at the highest pitch, they have a 3 foot wide support built across the ceiling in the living room. My question is whether or not I can remove the pole under the living room as it doesn't appear to be supporting anything and the 2X8 beam construction would carry the load?

Default Re: Support pole removal

Quote Originally Posted by Racechaplain View Post
    Hi,
    We have a older Wausau Prefab home dated around 1975. There are 2X8 boards 12' lengths sandwiched together 4 wide going the entire length of house where the 2 modules connected in the center. It appears that every 8 feet, there were support poles installed. The house has cathedral ceilings and at the highest pitch, they have a 3 foot wide support built across the ceiling in the living room. My question is whether or not I can remove the pole under the living room as it doesn't appear to be supporting anything and the 2X8 beam construction would carry the load?
    The support columns are there for a reason --- the floor rests on this main beam which is intern being supported by ALL the columns --- so --- no you can't just remove one without getting a structural engineer to recommend some other support mechanisim.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I thought maybe the 4 sistered 2X8's would have a span rating able to cover the 16' span that is there....

If that were the case then the design wouldn't have one there in the first place.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush