+ Reply to Thread

Default Can an LVL beam be ripped

I need to place an 8' header in a space where my floor above is sagging. For max strength I want to use a double LVL, rather than the usual 2-by lumber. The room has a low ceiling, so there is only 8.5" available over the door. Can I rip a 9.25 LVL down to 8.5 without destroying the integrity of it?

By the way, the reason for the sag isn't because of the existing double 2 x (8.5) header, but because of insufficent support on one end.

Thanks!
    Dave

Default Re: Can an LVL beam be ripped

Yes, you can rip them to fit without risking failure, but you do reduce the strength and stiffness. Don't leave any rough splinters. I usually power-plane them down and re-chamfer the corners.
    They sure are tough on saw blades.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

i rip them all teh time. primarily because they dont come in uniform dimensions that match conventional lumber
    . we use them both as beams and and ledgers for floor systems on additions.. the problem we run into more often that not is that the lvl sent isnt the same dimension as either nominal lumber or as the engineered joists were installing ,, if we left them as is it would create a hump in the floor or in the ceiling
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Just wanted to post a quick thank you- I ripped the beams fine as needed and they work great! I love LVL. Straight and strong!

you mentioned insufficient support on one end. how so. was the header not sitting on a proper jack stud or were squash blocks not installed in the floor system to prevent the jacks from shearing through the floor sheathing
    fire up the saw and make some dust